Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
I haven’t done many specific “shed hunt” outings, but my boys are so proud of the couple they have picked up. One half rot chalked up fork shed is one of my boys prize possession. If they find some, I know my boys get pretty excited. They are 10 and under.

· Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one time I went shed hunting I didn't find any sheds, but I found a pretty cool, old bottle all in one piece. I knew it was old because it had a purplish tint from the manganese that used to be used in glass production. The glass had air bubbles in it too, which also gave hints to its age. Unfortunately there weren't any embossings on it to help me identify its age or what it might have been used for.

· Registered
2,661 Posts
I was always taught that it was the lead in the glass that would make it turn purple. I could have been told wrong.
It was outlawed in 1921. So the bottle would most likely predate that era.
I have a couple of the "purple bottles" I have found over the years. It's rare to find one for sure.
I really like the looks of them.

· Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was always taught that it was the lead in the glass that would make it turn purple. I could have been told wrong.
It was outlawed in 1921. So the bottle would most likely predate that era.
I have a couple of the "purple bottles" I have found over the years. It's rare to find one for sure.
I really like the looks of them.
That's about the date I always heard too, whether it was the manganese or lead. It's cool to know when you find one that the bottle is about a hundred or more years old. You always wonder who might have had it, what they were doing with it out there and other things.

· Registered
123 Posts
Saw my first shed/partially shed buck of the season. Anybody getting ready to go shed hunting? I have never really got into the shed hunting thing, but there's something I gotta know. Is it a cool kids activity or is it lame? I know moose meat said it was lame, but what do you say, @Bux n Dux ?

View attachment 155346
Same opinion as MM.

with that said, I do plan on hitting 2 spots in the next month or so that I’ve let sit for 7 years. I’m kinda excited to see what’s been left for me to find in that time.

every buck I saw over the weekend had both sides. I did see a bull missing 1 side. Couldn’t tell if it was shed or broke, but it was gone clear down to the skull

· Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I enjoy it, but don't ever seem to find very many.

But isn't that buck just broken off on the one side? Looks like it has a few inches of antler on the one side before it broke
I zoomed in on my potato quality photo and it looks like you might be right. I cant tell for certain, but it kinda looks like there is a broken off nub of antler there.

· Registered
123 Posts
As of yesterday afternoon, I am aware of 1 fresh set of antlers being picked up in northern utah. I suspect in the next 2 weeks, you’ll see the bigger deer start dropping at a quick rate. Seems like January 25- February 10 is when the best deer in the north half of the state start dropping.

· Registered
4,085 Posts
Don't a lot of folks do it for the money, ie a way to pay for gas for the camping trip? I think my neighbors do that with their kids and there is always a trailer parked in Cedar once it opens up and full of found antlers.

Not a hobby I'm remotely interested in though.

· Administrator
11,598 Posts
Unless you really get into a bonanza of them you'll never make back the money that you spent finding them. But it's a fun hobby.

I just like finding them when I'm out for a hike or hunting. I've never went out purposely looking for them.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

· Registered
4,085 Posts
That's about the date I always heard too, whether it was the manganese or lead. It's cool to know when you find one that the bottle is about a hundred or more years old. You always wonder who might have had it, what they were doing with it out there and other things.
Sounds like its a photochemical reaction to the manganese you mentioned. I never was great at chemistry so I have to take the sources word at it:

That said, I can't think of a reason why leaded glass, aka crystal, would turn purple. My grandmother collected crystal and it all remained clear as it was originally. I allow myself to sip from a century old crystal glass from a "1919 Bourbon Festival" 1-2 times a year as a remembrance to her collections. Beautiful, clear antique but they leach the lead so I never drink from it much nor store any liquor in crystal.

· Registered
3,810 Posts
I'll pick them up if i see one when out and about but don't target them. I don't like the thought of stressing the animals that time of year so I'm not in the areas they are typically shed.

There was a period in my life where I actively collected old bottles after seeing some my dad had picked up during his travels. There is a lot of information out here to age them if you are really interested in knowing. Generally the older ones have seams where the mold joined and you can see some imperfections from carving as they used wood molds. There might have been as much digging in old outhouses in mining camps as there was for silver and gold. A lot of old "medicine" bottles ended up down the drain so to speak.

· Registered
2,661 Posts
I think this year, with the higher than normal snow levels, our poor Deer could use a break from anybody bothering them on what is left of their wintering grounds.
This x 1,000

But so many have NO common sense......
Everything is all about THEM.
I know several guys who take it to the extreme.
Claim they make money on it.

I'll pick a shed up if I find one, but I don't go looking.
No sense in stressing the animals out, or tearing up the terrain when it's soft and muddy.

Just my 2 cents.

· Registered
1,114 Posts
I get out several times in the spring. I find a few here and there.. But for me it's more about getting out and hiking, then it is about finding antler sheds. I mean I get excited when I actually stumble across one, but its more to get away and reset the soul type of thing. I love to go mid-week taking a day off work and go by myself.

I also really enjoy getting my boys out. They get a kick out of it. I am not nearly as cool as the cool kids doing it and posting videos on YouTube of a nice shed they found. And it is certainly something that has picked up in popularity. And judging by the crowd at Hunter Education Field Day recently I attended with my 11-year old son, theres more coming.. Lots of flat brims with stickers still on the lids in that class. Though I do get a good chuckle out of a dude my age (45) sporting the flood pants with no socks wearing flat brims with stickers on the lid... Gag!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts