Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some stores, and a lot of KSL’ers really tried to stick it to us over the last six months or so when ammo was short.
I don’t mind someone making a buck or two in this free market, but some prices were outright ridiculous.
I can’t remember the stores name in Sandy but I will never step foot in there or give them one red cent.
If there are others I would appreciate their names so I know where to avoid.
This way we can really pay back and patronize the good ones who did not try to stick it to us.
Any one want to help by adding to this list?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I mean the reality is you could add every store selling ammo to this list at this point! While at Cal Ranch the other day I noticed .22 Magnum at $18.99 per box of 50. These same rounds typically go for $11.99 or so... At least in the past. They were selling them for $15.99 before this last week. I've noticed Cabela's, Sportsman's, Scheels and others have all increased prices by a considerable percentage. The one store that didn't seem as steep was Smith and Edwards.

So you could add many on-line outlets such as Cheaper than Dirt, Midway, Optics Planet, Ammo Seek, and many other. Gallensons in SLC is highway robbery, and Get Some Guns and Ammo have also gouged in a bad way. What's been tough is when you find a decent enough price on-line, the shipping is ridiculous! Also there's been some stores popping up that are scamming people... For example I found cases of Hornady 6.5 CM 143 Grain ELD-X ammo the other day in the case load that was a really great price. I actually put it in cart without any personal or payment information in. My instinct told that it was too good to be true... Sure enough, after a search on-line about the company, total scam!

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
The question you also have to ask yourself is it the store, the distributor, or the manufacture that is raising the prices higher?

Each one down the line has a hand in it. If the manufacture raises their price then all the rest will raise their prices.

Then how about beef that you buy from the store? The rancher is saying that they can't get anything for their cattle but the prices at the stores have gone up and up. Someone is making a lot of money.

·
Super Moderator
3,394 Posts
Cough, cough ... inflation ... cough, cough

Can’t print/hand out trillions of dollars and expect prices not to go up.

The local mom and pop shop has done pretty well at keeping things in stock and at normal prices. However, the local SW was ridiculous. Unless, I wanted some 6.8 Western - plenty of selection for that caliber.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
None. Sportsman's and CAL are the only reliable gear stores in town and all the online shops seem about the same.

Not to mention even many of the manufacturers have put out notifications of price increases on their side of things.

But I stopped participating in most consumer boycotts a while ago.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I was very disappointed in Rogers. Love em still, but not long ago they had Winchester 333 round packs available and “ON SALE” for like $54. For a 333 round pack!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is sad to hear Roger’s trying to charge that price, I still am waiting to be ‘notified’ when my case of 20 gauge 2.75”ers come in.
Walmart has held their prices. A few days ago I bough my favorite CCI .22’s at $3.47/box and 12 gauge 1 1/8oz trap loads at $5.48/box.
About two months ago I bought Federal 800 count range packs at Wallies for $41.99, not as good as shooters out of my rifle as the CCI’s but still a great cartridge at that price.
I keep hearing great things about Gunnies but haven’t made it down there.
Maybe Armscor coming to Cedar will help us ‘locals’??

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
P.S.
How did ‘Aloha’ boy in Layton have so much different ammo laying around before he crashed his car.
Dang!

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for ammo prices to come down any.

Some stores that are selling at the old prices may just be selling old stock that they have had on hand in their warehouse, I have no idea on how they actually deal with it.

As for Armscor, you will hope that they manufacture the ammo that you want and if they are going to manufacture it near you and sell for a lower price than others out of their manufacturing warehouse.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
There is a difference between raising prices along with the market with costs and that practice of gouging. It is easy to see the difference. If anyone suggests there isn’t a difference then they are kidding themselves. If a box of ammo that cost $60 is going for $75-80 now, that is probably just a fair representation of the market, unfortunately. When you see a box of ammo that cost $50 or less a year ago running $120 now, that is gouging. It is a small thing, and in the scheme of things doesn’t matter, but when I saw Midway’s prices on 338 win mag I told myself I’d never buy at Midway again. I wasn’t a frequent shopper there anyway, so they won’t miss me. But with so many options out there, I’ll stick to ones I believe value the customer experience still. It’s okay to make a buck. That’s why they’re in business. But customers still matter.

I really am curious if some local stores are getting supply and allowing their employees to buy it up before it hits the shelves. I’d really like to know that, because I’d stop giving those stores my business. I don’t care if an employee wants to buy his/her two box limit per day off the shelf like the rest of us, but if they’re getting first dibs behind the scenes and eating up all the stock like some rumors I’ve heard, that is a store that really doesn’t want my business and we’ll see if their employees can keep them going.

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
I have heard rumors about employees in big box sporting goods stores letting their friends and relatives know when shipments are coming in along with putting reloading supplies behind the counter for when their friends show up.

However I have no actual proof of this since I no longer have any friends in those stores. That along with I don't even walk into those stores anymore. I did however walk into the Provo's Sportsman's a few weeks ago when my brother in law wanted to buy some fishing poles for his grand kids. I looked around a little and seeing that they didn't have anything that I wanted on their shelves, I left empty handed except for the reels and poles that he had purchased.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Honestly, i dont even blame the stores for making a buck off of people's stupidity for paying so much for ammo. If you wanna blame somebody, blame billy bob and cletus for treating ammo like it's oxygen and thinking they have to buy every last round they come across for the upcoming civil war or the dust up with the gubmint or whatever fantastical reason their simple minds think they need a bunker full of ammo for.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
There is a fine line between price gouging and supply and demand driven spikes. I haven't seen the gouging myself but I don't look very hard. I don't hobby shoot and for years I picked up an extra pack or two of shotgun ammo for upland season whenever it was available seasonally. I assume the gouging is there and folks have a right to support whoever they want. I just have no interest in doing so.

I have no doubt that some folks have crossed the ethical line but outside state declared emergencies it's what the system encourages. And to be honest it's somewhat predictable given how many Americans (us) are fine with artificially deflating the price of goods by constantly shopping at places like Wally World. It's become almost an American sport to always find the best deal. That rubber band was bound to snap back the other direction under last year's unusual conditions: pandemic affecting market, doomsday hoarding, massive spike in new gun sales to new demographics, etc. This is how unfettered capitalism works and for the most part there aren't many measures in place from those who sell ammunition from cutting losses elsewhere by finding the upper limit of prices will pay for a commodity in extremely short supply. And people are paying for it and I doubt the upper price limit has been found yet. And it's driving odd behavior like auto parts stores selling ammo now. Yay!

*Edited for idiotic use of "supply side economics"

·
Registered
793 Posts
I was in a Rogers store, and a Academy Sports and Outdoors store yesterday in Liberty Missouri just checking them out. Roger's had an incredible amount of shotgun ammo, but I noticed it was pretty pricey for shotgun ammo. Academy had quite a bit of ammo at about what you would pay at Sportsmans, Cal Ranch or the like. I was also in a Scheels in Omaha a couple days ago. They had a ton of ammo. Was actually shocking... I asked an employee about it, and he said they'd just gotten a huge shipment that day and it had been pretty barren before then. I don't need any so no purchases there. Just looking out of curiosity.

I'm with Critter though, I don't see prices going down.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
If you wanna blame somebody, blame billy bob and cletus for treating ammo like it's oxygen and thinking they have to buy every last round they come across for the upcoming civil war or the dust up with the gubmint or whatever fantastical reason their simple minds think they need a bunker full of ammo for.
Agreed. My first thought when coming across this thread was that we'd need to boycott ourselves because of the stampede to buy "one more box/case/whatever" every time some talking head on MSNBC mentions gun control or Uncle DeVerl goes off on Facebook on the general subject.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
It's the most simple aspect of economics!! "Supply and Demand".

I agree with Critter that prices wont come down much if at all. Supply may increase a little, but, we (well, some) have been "conditioned" to paying the current price, and it wont drop much at all. As long as "panic buyers" continue to buy, and hoarders continue their scheme, it's not going to change that much.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
With the push to increase the federal minimum wage to $15, all prices will go up on everything.

I stopped in at my local SW yesterday and picked up a box of Fed 20 gauge turkey loads. 10 in a box for $15. Last time I bought that same box 10 years ago I think I paid somehwere around 0.85 per round. Now they're $1.50 per round. Seems reasonable for something you will shoot once or twice a year, so it should last another 5 years or so.

My go to store is usually the local SW or Midway. Have nothing but good to say about Midway.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Shaner

Don't forget about the $9 2x4's and $48 cdx sheeting.

There is plenty of gouging going on in all types of businesses.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts