Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great morning this AM, and managed to get into the wigeon pretty good. It's interesting to see how much color variation ducks can have within a species-would you guys say that the wigeon on the bottom qualifies as a storm wigeon? I can't remember shooting one with such a light-colored head before!

Close-up

I'm always awed at how beautiful these birds are, it's such a gift to be able to hunt them!

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Well that smiley certainly ruined an otherwise nice picture;-)

Reactions: fish-n-fool

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
It looks stormy! nice job, the last two trips I've gone out on I've killed 4 drake widgeon. 4 seems to be the lucky number this year.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that smiley certainly ruined an otherwise nice picture;-)
Gotta take the salt with the sugar, right? :) Actually she was the first duck I shot today, came in about 2 minutes after shooting opened and I mistook her for a mallard.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Definitely a storm. I hope it's going on the wall. Very rare coloration. If your not mounting it, I'd love to add it to my Collection of your interested in donating it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I shot one on Saturday, I thought it was a teal

:(
Well, you were technically right, since spoonies are the largest member of the teal family. :mrgreen: They sure don't taste like a teal though.

Kev-I'm not sure if he would make a good mount, he's missing a good chunk of feathers on one wing. I got some good photos of him, they are a beautiful bird for sure!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've decided to hang onto this one, Kev. Speaking of wigeon, here is one from a few years ago that I still kind of regret not getting mounted-it was the biggest wigeon I've ever seen, the size of a big drake mallard-

It also had the longest pin that I've ever seen on a wigeon-it was a unique bird for sure!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, that looks like it could be from a January mallard. Maybe it's a sign that we are going to have a long, cold winter?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts