Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me & the girlfriend decided to give it a try yesterday. Im not so sure about the slush monster being gone quite yet as we sure were able to find some pretty deep spots on the snowmobiles Anyways, be glad if you werent out there yesterday. It was a BLIZZARD with total whiteout conditions. Got out to our regular spot(or so we thought ) Drilled a hole, 75 feet of water . aaaagghh. We had no idea which way the marina was to get back, or even close to where we were. All we knew is we were on water. We ride off to find another spot, 10 mins riding later we decide that was a good spot as there was no slush. Drill a hole, 80 feet of water By that time we were like popcicles & decided to give it a try as we had no idea which way we were going as we couldnt see more than 15 feet ahead of us in the blizzard, Plus both of our eyes were basically frozen shut. We got the tent set up , got the heater going to warm up & then the wind really started to blow across the lake. I would estimate the winds at 60 mph. Each of us had to stand on a tent bar the entire time to keep it from blowing away. The thermometer on my coat zipper said it was -8 degrees, plus the windchill. About 3 hours later some of the clouds had blown through & we could finally see the marina waay off in the distance even though the snow was coming down pretty hard. Good thing we waited because we were headed the exact opposite direction from where we should have been. After sitting in the miserable conditions in the tent, we decide to make a mad dash for the truck to get warmed up a little. We got back to the truck & decided to try just out from the marina in my other tent that has the floor. Got everything all re-loaded on the sled & set off for our other journey. After about a 2 or 3 min ride, we get everything unloaded from the sled, cleared a spot for the tent & got ready to drill the holes. The **** auger wouldnt start . After messing with the auger for atleast a hour, I looked at the clock & it said it was 4pm. To hell with it I thought & we got out of there.

It took 3 hours to get there with the snowy conditions, Spent about 3 hours total actually fishing of the 8 or so hours we were there, Not one fish, not even a bite. . I guess we should have just stayed around the marina where we knew where we were at, plus the depths. Not really the best trip for my girlfriends 2nd time out ice fishing. Atleast she said she is willing to go back!!!!!

By the way, Anyone know whats up with the parking situation up at the Strawberry marina right now? The big parking lot at the marina didnt look like it had been plowed all winter & with all the trailers in there , there was no parking at all as the only places were right along the road right in front of the lodge. I would be willing to pay the 5 bucks or whatever it was to have it plowed?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Dang that sounds like a rough outing STEVO. Sorry it wasnt successful, I have not catching fish, and I can imagine those conditions didnt help the mood either! At least the gf said she would give it another go! Better luck next time!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, well have to give it a try again, possibly next week :D. Atleast the slush wasnt as bad as that other place. The areas around the marina were packed & frozen pretty good. Out on the main lake is where we hit a few good pockets of slush. Kept the throttle full bore & was able to get through it pretty good. :D

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
I would suggest that you invest in a cheep GPS.
At least with one of them, you will know where you are going and where you were.
Be carefull out there, we don't want to read about you in the paper.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
For being considered one of "the best" places to ice fish, it sure has been giving everyone Hell lately. It sounds like a fun place to try, but it also sounds like more work than anything else.

Sorry it didn't go your way. Hopefully next time, you'll have better conditions.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grandpa D said:
I would suggest that you invest in a cheep GPS.
At least with one of them, you will know where you are going and where you were.
Be carefull out there, we don't want to read about you in the paper.
Yea, Ive got a pretty good one, but who thinks they will ever need one when out ice fishing :shock: :lol:
I am very familiar with the lake, But as soon as the snow is flying, you cant tell where you are at, regardless of how well you know it. It will definately be going in my ice fishing bucket for days like that. We had 5 groups of snowmobilers stop while we were out there & ask us which way the marina was, & I know that 4 of them each had a guide from the marina.(now that I think about it, I might have told them the wrong direction :shock: )

LOAH,
Strawberry is one of those hit or miss lakes. You can have days where you cant keep them off your line, or you can have days where you only catch a couple. I think this is the first Ice fishing trip to strawberry where I have completely been skunked. I have always atleast caught 2 or 3. You gotta atleast give it a chance before you make up your mind you dont want to ice fish it :D

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
LOAH, SREVO is right!
Watch for reports of good ice with little or no slush.
These are the days to fish Strawberry, and days to stay away.
Be sure to bring a buddy that had a good power auger with you!
If you fish in the cove by the Marina, you will be able to get out to some fair to good fishing without having to walk a long distance.
Your waders will be a good thing to wear there, just in case the slush monster rears it's ugly head.
I would also suggest taking snowshoes with you anytime that there is over a foot of snow on the ice.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Wow stevo it sounds like my ice fishing mojo is starting to rub off on you. That sounds like one of my ice fishing outings no fish and lots of work to get to fish, good thing you had a tent with a heater. I guess if the fish weren't biting you and your girlfriend would just have to figure out something to do in that warm tent for three hours...... :D :D Sorry to hear about the skunkage, we will have to get out again in Feb I have another place in mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts