Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Strawberry Marina today from about 7:30-10:30 then packed bags and moved to the Ladders. Ended up with about a dozen fish between me and my buddy. None were over the slot but there were a couple that were close. Fished about 14-25 feet deep. Strawberry Marina and Ladders held about the same amount of fish. Fish were a little more active at the Ladders though. Weather turned out nice though. A little snow but the wind was mild. The ice at the Ladders was 11" thick. Gitzit's seemed to be the trick w/ wax worms.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the report AFdude, glad the weather and fish cooperated for ya!

A few questions: Did any particular color work better than others? I've not fished with Gitzit's before but will have to give them a try. Were the fish on the bottom or further up in the column? How were the bites, soft or hard?

Thanks!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm color blind so don't take my advice on color. I know the head was yellow but the body is a ???? ha ha. They mainly hung around the bottom 5' or so. Some hit really light and others were on the run when they hit. For the most part light hits though. They didn't want nothing to do with meal worms, only wax worms.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm watching Utah Outdoors and Grandpa D said he was up there when they were filming. They said any big ice flies will work. I guess those Maniac Cutters seemed to do pretty good. I think they look a lot like a paddle bug but i haven't seen them in person yet.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I wish I could find as much time to fish as you. It's great that you choose to spend it fishing (well...great for you and us :lol: ). Thanks for posting your trip reports.

·
Registered
138 Posts
AFdude, I ordered some of the Maniac Gizzy Bugs that Grandpa D was talking about, they got here a couple of days ago and look pretty sweet. Hopefully, the fish think they look good too. I should have added some of the Cutters to my order but didn't want to get carried away. It seems that everyone is talking about the Maniac lures lately....

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
americanforkdude said:
I'm watching Utah Outdoors and Grandpa D said he was up there when they were filming. They said any big ice flies will work. I guess those Maniac Cutters seemed to do pretty good. I think they look a lot like a paddle bug but i haven't seen them in person yet.
Yes, I was with them. So were my 2 sons and a grandson.
We all caught a lot of fish that day.
We were at CCW. Not many other anglers there that day.
It was hard walking in and that kept the crowds away.
The Maniac jigs are great, but be sure to get the best jig heads that you can.
Some of the cheep jig heads don't have a very sharp hook and you will loose a lot of fish on them.
Use a small head like a 1/1/32 oz for the Gizzy Bugs and a larger head like a 1/16 oz for the Ice Cut'rs.
We tiped the jigs with a piece of shinner meat.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ice Cutter

Here is the web site for the Ice Cutters/ Gizzy bugs.

http://www.maniaccustomlures.com/

They also sell them at Sportsman warehouse.

You can split the tail on the Ice cutter to give them the same action as a paddle bug. I have used these and have good success with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts