Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I fished Mud Creek from shore on 6/8. We fished from 4:00 pm until dark. Total 30 crawfish caught by hand for my son and 4, 12-14 inch chubs. We were bait fishing with worms under a floating bobber and power bait on a sinking bubble. We missed half a dozen bites on the power bait and caught all of the chubs on worms.

I really hope the chubs are not making a giant comeback.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Not sure if you were eating the mudbugs, but most crawfish you catch right now are not very tasty and have a good chance of being full of eggs. Caught some at a reservoir I'm not going to disclose and found this to be the case, after ignoring recommendations not to catch them until mid-July. I've always caught them in August and there was a pronounced difference in taste and cleanliness of the bugs when getting them later in the summer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info on the crawfish. Many of them had eggs. My son just likes to catch them all were released to live another day. I am sure they will look and taste better after they have molted for the year.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I wouldn't claim to be a crawfish expert ;). We've found that they're best in August as well. We make it a tradition to go out the first weekend in August. Boil them with zatarains crawfish boil and Tony's seasoning for an authentic Cajun feast

Reactions: Firehawk
1 - 4 of 4 Posts