Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first year I have fished strawberry in the fall. It is freakin awesome. I've gone 3 times and none of them have disappointed.

This Saturday was no exception. I started out at mud creek on a tip from a guy at SW in provo. I got there and pumped up my tube and hopped in the freezing water. No ice yet... but crazy cold! I fished near the shore working the weed line. I hooked a couple but only got one to the tube. I still can't figure out how a fish gets unbuttoned when the lure has two big treble hooks on it?! The one I landed was approximately 26". It was awesome! That fish came in the first ten minutes of working the weedline. I thought it was gonna be an awesome day. Turned out mud creek was a bust. I didn't land anything else so I decided to move to the ladders.

The ladders are awesome from a tube. If you are looking at the reservoir standing at shore you will see a little sand bar kind of thing to the right. It runs kind of diagonal from the shore. In between the sand bar and the shore there is a little channel. I start in the channel close to shore and work my way out the channel, around the sandbar and then the opposite side of the sandbar. Saturday I actually got out of my tube and stood on the sandbar and cast the channel side and the opposite side as well. I was like 30 yards out and it was only up to my shins. I caught four fish in about an hour. I watched 3 other fish chase the lure until it got too shallow. The smallest fish was 20" and the largest was just about 23". I took the 23"er home for dinner. There was a guy fly fishing in the same area, but not in the channel or near the sandbar when he was out deeper. He only caught one all day. The wind kicked up after that first hour passed and I cursed my decision to start my day at Mud Creek.

Moral to the story:
If you have never fished strawberry at fall you are missing out. It is an awesome resource.

Sorry about no pictures... I forgot my camera and I ended up giving the fish to my wife's grandparents before I could get my camera.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip, cant wait for that water to freeze. Thanks for the report, sounds like you had a great time.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I should've gone to the ladders, but I hate paying to park. I've been missing out!

Nice job on catching more cutts. Sounds awesome. Were you wearing neoprenes or rubbers?

I have the Cabela's rubber chest waders, but I end up insulating them with some thermals and sweatpants. Just dipping my hand in it on Saturday, I knew it was pretty frigid.

Nice report.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Sounds like a good trip. Sorry that Mud Creek didnt treat you very well, thats usually where I always end up and do pretty good there. I guess I need to expand my horizons there a bit. I can imagine it was pretty cold out there in the water :shock:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I totally wore thermals and sweat pants under my waders. They are just a crappy pair of hodgemans my wife bought me. It was frickin freezing but it was totally worth it. I'll freeze my butt off any day of the week if the smallest fish I catch will run 20". I should thank the guys at SW in provo for turning me on to throwing big Luckycraft pointers. They promised it would be worth 17 bucks for one lure. I cried a little when I got to the cash register but it has lead to some of the most fun trips I've ever had!

I haven't paid the last two times I went to the ladders. They didn't have any of the envelope things so I didn't know what to do. I talked to some other guys there about it and they said they didn't see any either so none of us paid. I don't know if I should have or what?

Greenguy - maybe I was fishing mud creek the wrong way. I started in the shallow bay area and worked up the shoreline on the side opposite the boat ramp area. Any tips for the future?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts