Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the water by 7:30 am. Air temp around 40 and water temp was still 56 degrees. Had 7 bites with 6 being landed within 25 minutes between three of us. Headed to a new spot and landed three more. The wind kept increasing so we headed up the narrows and caught a few more in calmer water before the wind and hail blew us off around 11:20. Not too bad for our first Strawberry trip of the year.

All fish caught on chrome/black or chrome/blue jerkbaits. Had a few fish chase spinners and tubes. Half the fish were healthy, the other half was all head and very little body, skinny. However, we left satisfied. The ride back to the ramp was very choppy with some nice rollers thrown in. I hope the weather allows for another trip.

HockeyMan

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We only caught cutts. Some were football-ish and others were very lean. All of the females we caught seemed much more healthy than the males. The largest caught was 24 inches, girthy, and firm. A very healthy female. She put up a good fight, was easily released and took off.

HockeyMan

·
Registered
498 Posts
Were they feeding higher in the water column on your trip? I was up there about 2 weeks ago and they were all over and was hard to get it in front of their noses.

Every time Ive been down that way Ive never caught anything out of the slot, so something 24 inches is impressive to me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Waltny,
I was throwing floating and suspending jerkbaits and both caught fish. The 24 incher came on a suspending bait. It goes down arond 4 feet and just sits there. I thought as you did and figured since the water temp was still 56 degrees that most of the big fish would be deep. I threw a 2 1/2 inch tube jig when the wind permited and only had one good bite...around 20 feet deep. I felt my line tighten then saw it move sideways. I reeled down and set the hook for nothing. As I retrieved the bait to make another cast the fish followed it all the way to the boat and that was it for the tube jig bite.

Once the water temp dips below 50 degrees the big fish should come up. I only fish Strawberry in the fall. I am a bass fisherman and dont know all the ins and outs of fishing Strawberry but I know the fall is great fishign for big fish. I have experienced big Strawberry cutthroat and rainbows in years past. The storm we had last weekend and the storm coming next weekend should cool things off quite a bit. GOOD LUCK

HockeyMan

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Fishing Strawberry from a boat must be wonderful. From shore, I tend to wait around for the perfect fish to toss my minnow at. A lot of times, that takes a few hours. Sometimes I can catch the dinks while I'm waiting, but I have a hard time paying attention to them.

Sounds like a good trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts