Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my LE Elk hunt and while I was able to bring home a bull, it didn’t come without some intense moments trying to bring down my bull!

I was shooting 165gr Hornady Interlok BTSP bullets out of my 30-06. I reload them with 49.7gr of IMR 4064 at the tune of about 2775 FPS.

I was able to take all shots (5 total!) all between 80-100 yards. After questioning how many times I actually hit him, while skinning him we found three double lungs, one liver and one in the spine that brought him down.

Everyone of the shots were nearly pin holes, and little to no blood from initial shot to where he laid. From first shot to final shot was about 200 yards travel distance.

Here are two of the bullets I recovered. Both look like they just came apart upon impact.

Any explanation one might have for this? Too close for controlled expansion? I don’t want to have to go through that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Meh....Elk are really tough animals. If you had enough time to make 5 good hits, he was likely just dead on his feet and waiting to fall over. If you want to 'knock em dead' like the movies, you have to blast the point of the shoulder or break the spine which can both waste a lot of good venison. In my experience, make a good shot with a bullet sufficient to reach the vitals and continue shooting until they are down no matter how good you have hit them. If you have to track, don't give up just because you aren't seeing blood.

Sounds like you did everything right and had a great result. Congrats!!! Now, enough with the messed up bullets, lets see a dead elk!-------SS

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I agree, very tough animals! He took two and just walked on into the trees like nothing happened, then laid down. I kept watching him waiting for him to tip over and nothing. He got up and I hit him again. Walked 100 yds, laid down. Did the same thing, got up hit him again and he walked another 100 and laid down. Still not tipping over! Then finally one last shot and he was down. This was several minutes span!

Anyways….. passed up many many bulls early on and got him 5 days into it. Wasatch LE. Not the biggest bull but definitely happy with him! It was a great hunt. Didn’t run into another hunter for 7 days on the mountain. Basically had it all to ourselves.

·
Super Moderator
10,286 Posts
Looks like standard performance for a cup and core bullet.

If you want one that holds together you need to look at the Nosler Partition, Swift A Frame, or a mono metal bullet like the Barnes. Even at that the Partition will shed the front portion of the bullet keeping the back half intact. I have no idea how the Swift A frame performs but folks that head to Africa like them.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like the Nosler partitions. Have taken several bulls and some cows with them and pretty much all dropped in their tracks.
I shoot 30.06. 165 grains.
That bullet was what I was planning to use, but with the craziness of the last year the Interloks were all that I could find this year in the 165-180 gr. I guess I had high expectations!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Interlocks don't have the best bond to the cup. When that core slips out, usually you just find the cup on the off side. The cup is usually just under the skin.

I agree the bull was probably just bleeding out but I'd have put more rounds in him too. Fill the vitals with holes, the more the better.

I had one elk double lunged that didn't shed a drop of blood until it tipped over. This was with a nosler accubond that seemed to pensile through. Luckily the damage was done internally.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
I have no idea how the Swift A frame performs but folks that head to Africa like them.
It hits them like a freaking sledgehammer. Amazing bullets, just extremely expensive. I have a box of Federal Safari Grade ammo with the 165gr A-Frame's for my 7STW. Elk went 1 direction, straight down.

Much love for partitions too. They are the best bullet imo for deer and antelope sized game: always expands, always penetrates.

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
10,286 Posts
My motto has always been:
Shoot till they quit wiggling.
I hate chasing/losing animals.
The last elk that I shot with my muzzle loader was dead with the first shot that hit him, but I shot him 2 more times. When I got back to camp I was asked why I kept shooting if he was dead from the first shot, I just said because he was still standing

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
It's called slipping the core. Typical for bullets driven too fast or that impact at close range. The jacket expands immdediatly on contact, the core disintegrates. A buddy and I once shot into a deep pool of water, he with his 300 Win Mag, me with my 35 Whelen. My recovered slug was nicely mushroomed, retaining 70% of its original weight. We couldn't find his. Blew up. The Whelen was pushing a Speer 250gr SPFB at about 2500FPS, his was a 180gr SPBT at 3000-3100 or so.

I once shot a deer with a 375H&H Magnum Ruger #1 at about 75 yards. By the time I I got the scope back down to where he was, he'd disappeared. Walked over to where he had been standing, he fell dead in his tracks behind a log. The bullet, a 300gr Sierra SPBT, had broken a couple of ribs behind his right scapula, then ranged forward, exiting in front of the left scapula. Didn't recover the bullet, of course. The exit would was a bit larger, still just breaking a few ribs. Zero meat damage. Simple cup and core bullets perform better at moderate velocities.

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Last elk I shot with a rifle was with a 30.06 at about 100 yards with 165 grain partitions. The bull spun around 180 degrees and I used the exit wound as an aiming point for the second shot. Both were lethal but it took a minute for it to realize he was dead. The whole DRT is over rated.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
160 grain nosler partitions are what shoots well out of my tikka 7mm rem mag. I love the performance of them as well. With the front half being standard soft point construction you get violent expansion even at modest velocities and the back half will give you deep penetration. No worries either way about pencil hole wounds from a bullet that is too tough or inadequate penetration from a bullet that is too soft. The party up front, business in the back design seems to work well. Another intriguing bullet design I haven't got to test out on an animal yet is the federal trophy bonded tip.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
On the left is a 160 grain partition from a cow elk my wife shot at a ranged 420 yards on the tushars with a 7mm rem mag. Bullet went through the leg bone, left a 50 cent piece sized hole through the heart and came to test under the opposite hide. On the right I think is a swift A frame from a .300 win mag her grandmother shot into a goat that was also on the tushars. Automotive tire Wood Road surface Asphalt Circle

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
This is a hornady interlock I retrieved from a cow elk I shot in 2018 at 263 yards with my .270 win. took her down in one shot, projectile was just under the hide on the opposite side.

if hunting has taught me anything, it’s that every animal reacts different when shot. I’ve seen some absorb a hit, thinking it was a miss, some tip over on the spot and others run 30 yards with a hole through its heart. You just never really know what they’re going to do

Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Jewellery

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
This is a hornady interlock I retrieved from a cow elk I shot in 2018 at 263 yards with my .270 win. took her down in one shot, projectile was just under the hide on the opposite side.

if hunting has taught me anything, it’s that every animal reacts different when shot. I’ve seen some absorb a hit, thinking it was a miss, some tip over on the spot and others run 30 yards with a hole through its heart. You just never really know what they’re going to do

View attachment 149476
What is the weight, Ray? The 140gr Interlocks shoot well out of my 270. About 2960FPS, accurate and clean burning with H450.

·
Registered
Hunting, Fishing, Target Shooting, Hiking, Foraging, Shroom Hunting, Farming, Gardening, Building
81 Posts
I use 139grain interlocks and sometimes have had issues but I can sneak in at 30-40 yards. Smacks hard like a 2x4 and get lots of blood trails but they don’t drop immediately and bed down ASAP so I end up having to wait for a while which is not what we want, we want to recover the animal 5 mins ago but gotta let the animals vitals shut down without bumping it to a new bed. Patience is a virtual that most of us overlook and feel responsible for knowing where we hit, if it was a good enough shot, letting our mind race at 17,000mph. We do owe the animal a quick humane death but most of the time they are already dead they just still have oxygen in the blood to keep their instincts to make their body still functioning even though they’re walking dead.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'll buck the trend here and say I've had great success with both nosler ballistic tips and berger classic hunters. Small entry, devastating internally and large exit wounds on thin bodied animals. Elk exit wounds are 50/50. I'm a lung shooter so I've gravitated toward these types of projectiles. My next load will be a combination so to speak, hammer hunters. Front end fragments and the back holds together for the exit wound.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nosler Partitions have never let me down since the early 80s.
.338 I use 210s. 225s are better but they did not have them when I started so I have stuck with the 210s
3006 180 Nosler partition
270 150 Nosler partition
Never failed on 20+ elk
3 moose
5 bears
5 African plains animals
1 Bison
numerous Texas Boars
I have never tried any of the new premium bullets because the partitions have never gave me reason to switch.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts