Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well - just returned from a five day hunt with my dad (his tag) on the Central Manti Unit.

Saw close to 30 bulls, 5 or so in the 350 range, the rest anywhere from 290 - 330.

He hit a nice bull, about 310, on Tuesday morning just before the heavy snow hit. He knocked it down then saw it slowly moving into some heavy timber about 5 min later. Opted to go back in the morning after the storm blew over.

The next morning we showed up at the scene the day before to see a UTV parked where we were - didn't know where they were.

We were glassing the hillside where the bull went (last seen) before getting a game plan together to go look for him and saw him bedded under a tree about 100 yards from where he entered the heavy timber.

Then we heard the shot from the other guys just below us and saw the bull topple over - needless to say, they shot dad's bull.

What do you say...???

Spent the rest of the day hunting and spotted two more bulls just before dark but couldn't get up on them. All in all, he had three opportunities to fill his tag, just didn't work out.

Anyway - we headed back yesterday because we had to get home to get some things done.

Successful? Yep, I'd say so.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
What do you say?? A whole lot of F Bombs if your me!!! Good for you guys for having such a gentlemens attitude about it and being a great example of a true sportsman. Your right; not much you can do, but I sure would have been pissed and cussing about it.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Sucks that the other hunters got the bull, but public land and all that crap. Sounds like you saw a bunch of quality animals and had a good time though. My dad.blanked on his le elk tag too this year. Sw desert early rifle. He had a chance at a 330 bull on the second to last day but he had his mind made up he was shooting legitimate monster or eating his tag.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
What do you say?? A whole lot of F Bombs if your me!!! Good for you guys for having such a gentlemens attitude about it and being a great example of a true sportsman. Your right; not much you can do, but I sure would have been pissed and cussing about it.
Why? It sounds to me like the other guys found a bedded bull and killed it. How were they to know that it had already been shot once? Why shouldn't you have had a gentleman's attitude about it?

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
+1 to what W2U said.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
When I was in my 20s I was hunting above Meadow Utah. Sitting on a side hill when here comes a 3 point on the run. He suddenly stopped and I hit him in the neck, dropped in his tracks. Went down to dress him and seen he had been hit in the guts also. I had not heard any shots and proceeded to dress him. about 20 minutes later here comes 3 fat tired half drunk hunters and claim him as theirs well 3 against 1 is not quite fair with weapons so I went on my way only to drop a bigger 4 point on the way back to camp, as I'm dressing him here come the 3 idiots dragging their deer by the hind legs and wonder if my horse can carry another deer. I giggled and told them if they would drag it by the horns it would be easier. Loaded up my buck and went on my merry way.

Reactions: CPAjeff and AJ13

·
Registered
248 Posts
When I was in my 20s I was hunting above Meadow Utah. Sitting on a side hill when here comes a 3 point on the run. He suddenly stopped and I hit him in the neck, dropped in his tracks. Went down to dress him and seen he had been hit in the guts also. I had not heard any shots and proceeded to dress him. about 20 minutes later here comes 3 fat tired half drunk hunters and claim him as theirs well 3 against 1 is not quite fair with weapons so I went on my way only to drop a bigger 4 point on the way back to camp, as I'm dressing him here come the 3 idiots dragging their deer by the hind legs and wonder if my horse can carry another deer. I giggled and told them if they would drag it by the horns it would be easier. Loaded up my buck and went on my merry way.
Wow, did they really ask you to carry theirs out? I would've gotten more than a good giggle after that! Sounds like you were rewarded for your kindness as well, congrats.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Why? It sounds to me like the other guys found a bedded bull and killed it. How were they to know that it had already been shot once? Why shouldn't you have had a gentleman's attitude about it?
You miss understood me I think. I wouldnt have been cussing those guys but would have been cussing about the situation in general. It would clearly suck if you shot a nice bull then tracked it the next day and found it bedded just before someone got to it first and tagged it wouldnt you. Definitely not saying the other hunters were in the wrong but the situation really sucks from the OPs position. I would have been a gentleman as well but that doesnt mean I wouldnt have been one pissed off cowboy droppings F bombs to myself all the way back to my truck

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's funny about it is no one was around for 3 days in there, then when shots were heard (from us) hunters swarmed in like flies to a @#& pile.

We did talk to one guy who came up the hill as the others went down to get started on him. Pretty cordial conversation really...

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Ya that is a tough one. I will say at least the bull was put to rest on the second day in stead of lying down and dying when your dad shot. It doesn't matter how cold it is elk meat will spoil over night if not gutted that same night. So at least the bulls meat was not wasted

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Glad you feel like you had a 'successfull' hunt....

We enjoy all the hunting we do as-well, makes great memories for sure.

BUT, successful to me ( And the DWR ) means punching your tag...

He will have to hit the Un-successful key on your DWR hunter survey....:p

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
not trying to take sides here, but it is kind of funny to listen to people's perspectives. It's always the "other" hunters who are the "drunken slobs" and "lazy" hunters. We (posters on these forums) always do everything right, and others (the drunken lazy road hunters) screw things up for us. We get to the spot early, and have it all to ourselves only to be invaded after we locate that trophy and let a shot ring out.

It makes you wonder what the other guys are saying? Are they complaining about the two other hunters that snuck in on their bull and gut shot it, then left it? Maybe they are patting themselves on the back for finishing off a bull (smaller than what they wanted?) but did the ethical thing by killing it and tagging it?

HDE -- sorry you guys weren't able to harvest your bull. It happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts