Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, I just tried out a new recipe for summer sausage and it is deeeeelishious!
I ground up some of my small buck from the muzz hunt and gave it a try. This is the best one I have found so far and it's really easy. I'm sure any ground meat would work.

3lbs ground meat (lean is better)
3 Tbsp. liquid smoke
1 tsp. mustard seeds
3 Tbsp. Mortens TenderQuick salt
1 cup water
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper (more if you like the spice)

Mix it all up by hand. Take 3 sheets of aluminum foil, dull side up, put about 1 lb of meat mixture on each sheet of foil and mold into rolls. Roll it up in the aluminum foil and place in the fridge for 24 hrs. (this lets the tenderquick and it's nitrites kill any bacteria in the meat). After the 24 hrs wait, poke a small hole in one end of the foil and bake on a cookie sheet in the oven at 325 for about 1 1/2 hrs. Let it cool before serving!

Why pay someone else to make your summer sausage? Enjoy!

·
Registered
812 Posts
dang, that sounds pretty darn good i have some freshly ground antelope burger in the fridge might have to give her a try.

·
Registered
390 Posts
OMH... just pulled the Antelope Summer Sausage out of the oven... sliced it to give it a try.. UUMMMM TASTY!
Thanks 'Bears Butt' for sharing this recipe!! and if you guys/gals like summer sausage.. I'd be for making this recipe!!! It really is scrumptious!! and it's so easy to make too!!!

Now the oven is cooking antelope jerky.. we're going to be in Heaven for awhile!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for posting this recipe up! I've been looking for a way to get rid of some of my ducks and geese, so I plan on mixing waterfowl with some lean ground beef. Hopefully that will turn out OK.
I've always wanted to know who to do this, so I'll post my results when I have enough to make some.

·
Registered
812 Posts
lifetime hunter just stuffed some down my throat as soon as i walked in the door. OH MY GOSH that is some goooooooooooood stuff right there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Holy moly, that is some mighty tasty stuff. I am going to make another batch and take it for my family Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks Bears Butt. Good stuff.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm going to have to try this again. I did it once and it smelled great while cooking. But I didn't like it as much as everybody is saying they do. Maybe i didn't do something right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK, I decided to make another batch for the Turkey day get together with my family. Holy cow, it is good, moist, and an outstanding flavor. 100% deer meat. All I can say is thank you so much for the recipe BB. I love it. I am not wondering what to do with all of my ground deer now. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So far I have been unable to find the Morton's TenderQuick Salt. Can anybody tell me where to buy it without resorting to ordering off the internet? Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try the grocery store first. The baking isle by the flour and such. About $3.99 a bag, but it will go along way.

·
Administrator
21,433 Posts
Now that you boys got the hang of basic summer sausage add a little spice to your life. Put in some cheese and jalapeno in your next batch.
Get it at PS Seasonings at http://www.psseasoning.com/cart/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Took me four grocery stores to finally find one with curing salt. Meat's in the fridge defrosting for the first batch. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts