Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys ever surrendered a hunting permit? I'm thinking about turning mine back into the DWR. I have had 3 eye surgeries in the last 7 weeks, the most recent was Saturday.......Long story short I don't think I will be going on the archery deer hunt this season. I read the rules on surrendering a permit, but I won't turn it back in unless I get refunded. I think anyone that surrenders a permit should get refunded regardless of any circumstance, because the DWR is going to sell that permit again anyway. How big of a pain is the process?

·
Registered
393 Posts
From the Big Game guidebook. You may or may not qualify for a refund.

Permit refunds and exchanges
Utah Code § 23-19-38 & Utah Admin. Rule R657-42
Obtaining a refund
The Division rarely issues refunds for permits, licenses or certificates of registration, but there are some exceptions. To see if you're eligible for a refund, visit wildlife.utah.gov/refund.

·
Registered
174 Posts
We returned my wife's deer tag a few years ago when she was pregnant. It was a piece of cake. We just called them and had them take care of it over the phone. A few weeks later, we got a $40 check in the mail refunding the tag.

If a pregnancy is deemed refundable, I think your surgery will be.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
General season permits are not re-sold, so I understand the strict refund policy.
I was under the impression the permit would be given to the next person in line if they want it (the person that would have drawn next) Do they give that person a free permit? Or do they just keep the permit and money? What doesn't make sense is why would anyone even bother surrendering a general season permit if nobody else has a chance to get it? There is no point in doing so. Am I missing something here?

·
Senior Goof
3,620 Posts
I was under the impression the permit would be given to the next person in line if they want it (the person that would have drawn next) Do they give that person a free permit? Or do they just keep the permit and money? What doesn't make sense is why would anyone even bother surrendering a general season permit if nobody else has a chance to get it? There is no point in doing so. Am I missing something here?
I thought they resold them as well. I exchanged a permit a 2 years ago. The one I gave up was for a sold out area and a guy there bought it.

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
We are fully planning on turning in my wifes bookcliffs tag, the more I learn about whats going to go down this fall there, the less I want anything to do with it.

As long as we get the points back, I'll be happy and she'll draw again next year. Partial refund would be even better.

-DallanC

·
Registered
174 Posts
We are fully planning on turning in my wifes bookcliffs tag, the more I learn about whats going to go down this fall there, the less I want anything to do with it.

As long as we get the points back, I'll be happy and she'll draw again next year. Partial refund would be even better.

-DallanC
Sorry, don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but curiosity is getting me.

What have you heard will be going on down there this fall? We have 2 Muzzy Elk Tags there this year.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Imo only under the right circumstances and I mean few and far in between should the tag holder get their points back .refund on their money sure. But the points should be taken.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
What you get back is your bonus points which currently are worth far more than your general deer refund. My understanding is general season tags are not resold but LE, and OIL are.
I drew a second choice permit this year so I got the bonus point already. BTW the tag I drew is Wasatch West archery......

R657-42-6. Reallocation of Permits.

(1)(a) The division may reallocate surrendered limited entry and once-in-a-lifetime permits.
(b) The division shall not reallocate general season permits for big game and turkey, but the number of permits surrendered may be added to the appropriate permit quota the following year.

There really is no incentive for me to surrender a general season permit without a refund being given. I got my bonus point already for drawing a second choice area.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
My dad got a refund for his LE elk after a knee surgery. I think he had to get a doctor's signature for it.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I drew a second choice permit this year so I got the bonus point already. BTW the tag I drew is Wasatch West archery......

R657-42-6. Reallocation of Permits.

(1)(a) The division may reallocate surrendered limited entry and once-in-a-lifetime permits.
(b) The division shall not reallocate general season permits for big game and turkey, but the number of permits surrendered may be added to the appropriate permit quota the following year.

There really is no incentive for me to surrender a general season permit without a refund being given. I got my bonus point already for drawing a second choice area.
That makes sense. As a non first choice your right. Only thing you would gain is one more permit in the pool for next year and that is not real big incentive.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Contact the DWR. They might be able to help you out with another option instead of a refund. A few years back my Dad lost his sister-in-law right before the GS Hunt started and he wasn't able to make the hunt because of the funeral. When we contacted the DWR they said they could delay the tag. Meaning it wouldn't be good for that year's hunt but he would get the tag back the next year without having to draw it again. I can't remember if we went all the way through the process because he would have had to show documentation ( death Certificate) and it wasn't worth the $40. Either way they might do the same for you especially if you can show documentation for you surgeries and probably a doctor's note.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Imo only under the right circumstances and I mean few and far in between should the tag holder get their points back .refund on their money sure. But the points should be taken.
Or at least some of the points to deter people from turning tags back on a whim.----SS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts