Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's never taken me more than 1 point to draw. I generally sit a year and gain a point, then draw the next. Me and several friends have been seeing this same thing since they started doing points.

Not sure how anyone is collecting 4 points unless they just bought points a few times.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
It's never taken me more than 1 point to draw. I generally sit a year and gain a point, then draw the next. Me and several friends have been seeing this same thing since they started doing points.

Not sure how anyone is collecting 4 points unless they just bought points a few times.
my girlfriend went in with three points this year and i put her in every time.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I currently have 3 points and if I don't draw this time I will also be at magic #4. I have never done points only on swan, as for my friend I don't know if he has ever done points only but he has 4 points right now and of course he forgot to put in. :( I know he put in last year because we both put in using my computer. I don't know how this happens but hey maybe I am building up to that golden swan. :-?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Keep SFW and all special interest groups the hell out of waterfowling. ;-)
I couldn't agree more. Unless you consider DU, Delta, and such special interest groups.

EDIT: Thinking about this, you could consider groups like DU, Delta, WoW, and Wasatch Widgeons special interest groups. Maybe it's just me, but they seem to do a lot of good as a whole. Admittedly there are things people dislike about each group, but as a whole I feel like those groups benefit waterfowling. What I really want to keep out of waterfowling are things like expo tags, limited access public lands (think blind draws on a WMA), and in general limiting the opportunities of the regular guy.

Back on topic, really hoping to draw a swan tag with only one point this year.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It really surprises me that there are those of you that have accumulated so many points for a darn swan tag.

What doesn't surprise me is that the drawing doesn't seem to make any sense.

I hope you guys get a tag this year. You shouldn't have to wait that long for a swan tag.

·
Registered
580 Posts
A long time ago there used to be statewide conservation tags for Sandhill crane and Swan tags... the state did away with them in like 2010ish.. . I bought a few of them from SFW when they would sell at the banquets. I love the chance to a state wide crane tag but I sure hope they dont bring them to the expo.... there are enough antis buying the tags to make our drawings low anyway, please dont start putting a HIGHer price on them...

·
Registered
581 Posts
I know there are factors that this doesn't consider but the overall odds for last year were 1 in 2.5

http://wildlife.utah.gov/waterfowl/pdf/2014_swan_odds.pdf

http://wildlife.utah.gov/waterfowl/pdf/2013_swan_odds.pdf

http://wildlife.utah.gov/waterfowl/pdf/2012_swan_odds.pdf

There were more unsuccessful residents last year than there are tags so my theory of drawing every other year is out the window for sure. Still seems strange that you would ever get beyond two points though but this is Utah. It'll probably take 10 years to get a rabbit tag before long.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Back when the Swan application was $5 and you had to actually mail it in. (yes paper was a real thing then) you could just about expect to draw a permit. Now with the internet it is so easy to apply. I bet if a person had to actually fill out a paper application and mail it in you would see a decrease in the number of applicants.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Back when the Swan application was $5 and you had to actually mail it in. (yes paper was a real thing then) you could just about expect to draw a permit. Now with the internet it is so easy to apply. I bet if a person had to actually fill out a paper application and mail it in you would see a decrease in the number of applicants.
This was also back when there wasn't a 10 shell limit area and you could kill swan at Public Shooting Grounds. Those were the days!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts