Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys how many points does it usually take to draw a swan tag. Do I have a good shot with one? I think I only had one point last time I drew but I had no idea if that is normal or if it usually takes more.

Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
Swan draws were automatic back when I first started waterfowling...heck I remember my father hauling me out to Pintail lake @ Public Shooting Grounds chasing those things with a metal swan tag in his pocket. Crazy how it's changed.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I bought a swan point this year and I don't even hunt waterfowl. I figured I will build some points up and maybe one day cross it off the list. I may have to trade a Chukar hunt for a swan hunt with one of you guys in a few years. Same thing for crane, building points just because I like to give the DNR $. I would probably buy unicorn points if they offered them :grin:

·
Administrator
21,406 Posts
I bought a swan point this year and I don't even hunt waterfowl. I figured I will build some points up and maybe one day cross it off the list. I may have to trade a Chukar hunt for a swan hunt with one of you guys in a few years. Same thing for crane, building points just because I like to give the DNR $. I would probably buy unicorn points if they offered them :grin:
Get your swan tag and I 'll take ya.

It's taking 3 points for a lot of us non-residents now. Last time I figured the odds out it was like 1 in 2.25 chance of drawing.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Same thing for crane, building points just because I like to give the DNR $. I would probably buy unicorn points if they offered them :grin:
+1

I've turned into a real point hoarder the last few years.

I'd offer to trade you a swan hunt for a chukar hunt if I were a good swan hunter. I think it took me 5 days to get mine last year...

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Like said before it going to take two to three points to draw. unless you get lucky with 0-1 points. before the points started i drawn 6 tags in a row and killed 5 swans out of those 6 tags. now im up top three points

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
If it makes you guys feel any better I didn't submit an application. So there's one less person you got to worry about. :p:p Actually I haven't put in since 2012. I do like watching other people shoot theirs though.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
If it makes you guys feel any better I didn't submit an application. So there's one less person you got to worry about. :p:p Actually I haven't put in since 2012. I do like watching other people shoot theirs though.
I can understand that. I'm feeling less of a desire to hunt them as the years go by.

IMO it doesn't hurt to buy points, though. It's fun to be able to apply with a new hunter in your group and get them hunting right away, as opposed to making sure they stay interested and remember to apply for 2-3 years. We're doing that with general deer this year. My dad used his 4 points to get 3 neighbors along (including 2 first-timers).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts