Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took six days but we finally got it done! Every day we seemed to get closer and closer. The first four days we would hear them occasionally but could never call them in or see them. On the fifth day we were calling it a day and was scoping the area out to make plans for the next day. My wife stumbled upon the flock of 20-30 which were 150 yards from where we sat for several hours. We hunkered down and watched them for an hour then they moved on.

Yesterday we got up to where we seen them the day before at 10:00 and immediately spotted two hens 165 yards away. Before long we spotted more and more turkeys. There were four toms in the group and we watched them strut for a solid three hours from 150 yards away. At 12:30 they started going nuts gobbling. We couldn't get any closer we didn't feel and hoped they would come down within range. At 2:30 the all began to move and of course the hens came within range of us but all four toms hung back 100 yards and walked out of sight. We waited 20 mins then moved closer so we would be in range of they returned. About 5 mins of settling in again a turkey appeared at 40 yards and I was 90% certain it was a hen because I couldn't see a beard. After it vanished in the trees my wife asked why I didn't shoot. She said it had a bright red head but I'm color blind. It wasn't a big bird so I'm guessing it was a jake. The only other turkeys we seen was a hen soaring down the mountain sounding like a huge jet going by and then had another hen fly in from the bottom and land ahead of us.

At 4:00 we had to leave to go pick our son up from day care. On the way back to the jeep my wife was joking the turkeys were eating our lunch that we stashed in a gulch on our way in. When we approached a thick line of scrub oak the lined the edge of the gulch I spotted a turkey and it had a beard! The chase was one! I ran parallel with the tree line watching it to reappear and it did at 25-30 yards so I stopped and popped a shot. After shooting more turkeys appeared and with them were more toms. I wasn't sure if I hit it so I trudged into the scrub oak. I walked to the point my wife could no longer see me. Finally I spot a turkey with its back to me at 10 yards. Again I couldn't see a beard and my wife started hollering since she couldn't see me. I was afraid she was going to spook it. I started side stepping and then it turned its head and the beard appeared. I aimed for the head and shot once more. It was game over.

He has 3/4" spurs and a 6 3/4" beard. Wasn't the biggest one of the bunch but I couldn't be happier that I was able to bag my first gobbler. And it wasn't a jake! The only bummer is he had a broken tail feather.

The funny thing is when we got back to our lunch bag a squirrel had torn into it and helped itself to half of my sandwhich!

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Congratulations on your first gobbler!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts