Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been scouting for a few days and finally got to hunt yesterday. First turkey hunt and what a hunt it was!! No shooting, but a great experience getting my feet wet (literally). A couple of questions though. The turkeys weren't very vocal yesterday, responded better to the thunder than they did to my calls... What do you do in those situation where the birds aren't quite responding to your calls? I don't really have they're pattern nailed down, but i do know the general area they are in. Also, do turkeys act differently in the rain? Yesterday i experienced sun, drizzle, downpour and hail. What to the turkeys do in rainy situations?

Thanks guys!! Really want to put down a bird soon!!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I was able to take a bird yesterday almost entirely due to the thunder. We heard them gobbling at the thunder which gave up their position, and just followed their gobbles to a point where we thought they would pass in front. It worked perfectly. The birds would still respond to our calls, but were not coming in our direction. If they aren't coming to you, go to them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I played the follow the gobble game for a couple of hours after 8 am. It seemed they were running circles around me, and they probably where... So for the afternoon i decided to stay put, but no dice... I wasn't expecting much given it was my first turkey excursion, but i did learn a lot!! Been reading a lot of turkey talk on this forum as well.. With that said, anybody got GPS coordinates for me?? ;-)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts