Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sounds like a temporary ban due to fire conditions. Until further notice no campfires or target shooting on WMA's except where improved ranges exist.

Edit: after watching the news tonight, looks like all state lands have the fire ban.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Thanks for the info, you may have saved me a ticket. Was thinking about sighting in my smokepole at a nearby WMA nobody ever hunts.

Reactions: APD

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Well... I was thinking about going to sight in on some private property owned by a family member, trouble is I'd be shooting into a hill side that is BLM land, and I was just reading there is a target shooting restriction on BLM land now. Tecnically on private, but shooting into public.. sort of a grey area there. Lots of grass out there too. Sooooo.. maybe not.

My next thought was to pick an area I know of that is NFS land, and was burned to a crisp in 2018. Not much fuel there, not BLM, not WMA, and not SITLA land. Any issues with that idea?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... I was thinking about going to sight in on some private property owned by a family member, trouble is I'd be shooting into a hill side that is BLM land, and I was just reading there is a target shooting restriction on BLM land now. Tecnically on private, but shooting into public.. sort of a grey area there. Lots of grass out there too. Sooooo.. maybe not.

My next thought was to pick an area I know of that is NFS land, and was burned to a crisp in 2018. Not much fuel there, not BLM, not WMA, and not SITLA land. Any issues with that idea?
Depends on if they jump to stage 2 of the fire restrictions before you get there.

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
... and I was just reading there is a target shooting restriction on BLM land now.
Where'd you read that? we just got back from shooting on BLM and no signs or otherwise. I've not heard of BLM restrictions. There were a bunch of other people out shooting too.

**Edit: just looked up current shooting restrictions, its still marked open where we were at.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Unless I'm misreading it, i go through a lot of stuff pretty quickly. Dated last month.

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
And that link has a link to the actual order, which shows no exploding targets and fireworks, but no mention of firearm shooting. So I'm still confused, as I cant find any direct mention of statewide closures.

So the official map still doesnt show any closures;

I think the link you found, the title is litteral about the "Target" ban, as in "type" of target, not target shooting in general (ie: skeet or paper targets).

Go shoot... I have no doubt they will ban all shooting at some point.

-DallanC

·
Registered
419 Posts
I wonder if the media talking sock puppets at KSL got it wrong? Hmmm..

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If you dig deep enough on the Internet, you can find information on shooting on some BLM properties. Here is a quote from the 'UTAH WILDFIRE INFO' website.
The year-round restrictions include: fireworks, exploding targets, tracer and incendiary (tracer) ammunition, sky lanterns or similar devices, and operating off-highway vehicles without spark arresters. From June 15 through September 30, the use of steel-core, steel-jacketed, or steel-tipped ammunition are prohibited.
When target shooting, be aware that ammunition packaging may not indicate the presence of steel in the bullet.
The public can test the bullet with a strong magnet to determine whether the bullet contains steel.
The prevention order is posted to blm.gov, utahfireinfo.gov, and on signs where BLM-managed lands are accessed in the 12 counties affected. The public is reminded to use caution and be prepared to prevent wildfires
when visiting public lands. The BLM recommends keeping water, a shovel, and a fire extinguisher handy during the dry summer months.
For more details on the prevention order, contact the Jhen Williams at 801-977-4300.
So yes, the KSL report isn't 100% accurate, but there are some restrictions on shooting throughout the state on BLM lands. However, there isn't a blanket restriction preventing ALL shooting - yet.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you dig deep enough on the Internet, you can find information on shooting on some BLM properties. Here is a quote from the 'UTAH WILDFIRE INFO' website.
So yes, the KSL report isn't 100% accurate, but there are some restrictions on shooting throughout the state on BLM lands. However, there isn't a blanket restriction preventing ALL shooting - yet.
"Isn't 100% accurate"? Seriously?

From KSL,
"BLM Issues Statewide Target Shooting Ban To Prevent Wildfire's"

That's 100% false based on my research, your research and everybody s research on this site. More propaganda.

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
That's 100% false based on my research, your research and everybody s research on this site. More propaganda.
Their title should have been:

"BLM Issues Statewide Exploding Target Shooting Ban To Prevent Wildfire's"

That would have solved all confusion and been 100% accurate

-DallanC

·
Registered
419 Posts
Their title should have been:

"BLM Issues Statewide Exploding Target Shooting Ban To Prevent Wildfire's"

That would have solved all confusion and been 100% accurate

-DallanC

Excellent 👍