Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever try any of the "Teal" loads from Kent or Hevi Shot? Thinking of getting a couple of boxes for the grandson for youth day to put a little more steel up in the air versus #4 or #3 shot that I typically have him use.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just ordered a case of these. We crush ducks using this load, and for $8 a box vs. $13 for the Kent Teal it's a bargain. Yes the Kents are 3"1 1/4 oz. compared to these 2 3/4" 1 oz. Federals, but these get the job done.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/federal-premium-gold-medal-12-gauge-shotshells?repChildCatid=512504
Are they any good out to 40 yards or do you have to keep your shots in the 25-35 yard range? The hevi shot run around 1500 fps. I don't suppose anyone has these locally on the wasatch front huh?

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Are they any good out to 40 yards or do you have to keep your shots in the 25-35 yard range? The hevi shot run around 1500 fps. I don't suppose anyone has these locally on the wasatch front huh?
We shoot them at 40 yards using extended full chokes. If you are hunting over decoys these shells will work. If you like to pass shoot then you may want something bigger. I believe I have seen them in Scheels, but not for $8. Academy has free shipping on orders over $25.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Steel 6's sound like great teal medicine Fowl. I imagine that you could do well on big ducks too if you were inside 30 yards or so. I also know that Rio makes a #5 steel load that might be a good dual-purpose teal and mallard load over decoys.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads up fowl I am going to order some from Academy today. Cabelas won't price match so in reality it's a much better deal to order from Academy with no tax or shipping charges. I bet a home brewed load of #5 or #6 at 1600-1650 fps would be a nice drop dead load.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
The 20 gauge WW Expert #6s sells at Walmart for $7/box and is effective to 30 yards or more. Works great, I've shot limits with them. But $8/box for 12 gauge delivered is a very good deal.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually ordered him 5 boxes of the 3" kent #5 shot 1 1/4 oz teal loads. I want as much steel in the air for him as possible. I'll pattern them as soon as I get them to see how they work in each of the guns and bring whichever one patterns the best....:grin:

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Steel 6's sound like great teal medicine Fowl. I imagine that you could do well on big ducks too if you were inside 30 yards or so. I also know that Rio makes a #5 steel load that might be a good dual-purpose teal and mallard load over decoys.
For the longest time I was a firm believer in bigger is better and I always shot 3" #2's or 1's. A couple of years ago I picked up a few boxes of the Xpert 2 3/4" #6 and #7 shot for my 12 ga. O/U for a late season hunt on ice. I was quite impressed with the outcome for 35 yard shots, watching ducks crumple in mid air. I actually dropped 4 mallards with one shot using the #7's on a late season hunt last year, pretty cool I thought. I found the Federal #6's last year and prefer them over the Xperts just because they have a higher brass casing.

I realize most guys shoot the bigger loads, but IMO it is unnecessary to do so in most hunting scenarios over decoys.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the longest time I was a firm believer in bigger is better and I always shot 3" #2's or 1's. A couple of years ago I picked up a few boxes of the Xpert 2 3/4" #6 and #7 shot for my 12 ga. O/U for a late season hunt on ice. I was quite impressed with the outcome for 35 yard shots, watching ducks crumple in mid air. I actually dropped 4 mallards with one shot using the #7's on a late season hunt last year, pretty cool I thought. I found the Federal #6's last year and prefer them over the Xperts just because they have a higher brass casing.

I realize most guys shoot the bigger loads, but IMO it is unnecessary to do so in most hunting scenarios over decoys.
I am hoping they pattern well. I may try to do some reloading on them using a 1 oz load and picking up a little speed on them to 1600-1700 fps. Back in the lead days we usually used 7 1/2 over the decoys and most birds dropped dead with very few cripples.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts