Utah Wildlife Forum banner
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Yep, maybe 1% of people can pull it off. But 100% of the flat brim D bags attempt it.
No they don’t. And you know they don’t. Now if we were talking about waterfowl, that is a completely different story and I will agree with you there. But not everyone with a tag in their pocket is sending mail at every animal they see

·
Registered
468 Posts
So google is the new hunting ethics metric to go off?

Yep, we’re phucked. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Google is just a reflection of sources.

Sources like utah hunters ed and thousands of other responsible hunters that know the ethical distance for archery hunting is under 40 yards.

That being said you are the last person who should be saying anything about ETHICAL hunting Moose.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

Sources like utah hunters ed and thousands of other responsible hunters that know the ethical distance for archery hunting is under 40 yards.

That being said you are the last person who should be saying anything about ETHICAL hunting Moose.
Can you google and tell me where it says ethics are the same among all hunters? I’d also like to see where I said something was unethical? I’ve always taken a pretty hard stance on if it’s legal, I’m good with it.

I really don’t care if my 50 yard pin on my bow and willingly to use it, upsets you. I think im pretty ethical when it comes to hunting. Might not always have been the case, but in the last 10 years I’ve always done what I felt was right and stayed within the laws. If you’d like to give an example in that time frame of my lack of ethics you’re mad about, I’d be happy to discuss it with you and explain my side of it.

·
Registered
873 Posts

So I went ahead and googled it and the first thing that came up said to practice at twice the distance you intend to shoot while hunting. By your own logic, case F-IN closed. LOL

Not sure what else to tell ya, haters gonna hate.

Font Rectangle Art Circle Brand

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I took the Google challenge from ns450f. I googled “How far for an ethical archery shot?”

The very first link:
“As a general rule of thumb both vertical bow and crossbow shooters should not take any shot at any distance further than you can keep your arrows consistently inside a six inch circle.”

It also said you should practice at greater distances than you are able to hunt to make your closer shots more accurate. It specifically says that you should be shooting double the distance in practice than you are taking kill shots in the field. The article is even entitled, “The Ethical Bow Hunting Shot” Hmmmm…..

The second link in the results was an article about unethical archery shots. Here was an interesting snippet:

“And there it is…that word with a definition as elusive as a 200-inch whitetail buck — ethics. How does anyone define ethics? The variables in any moment where ethical decisions must be made are infinite. The skill level and the personal philosophy of each participant also varies widely. I might take a 60-yard shot at a stationary caribou, but never at a brown bear. A 50-yard shot at an unsuspecting pronghorn may be doable, but if it’s looking at me and wired to explode at the sound of my bow? Not so much. We could debate 40, 50, or 60-yard shots all day long, but 100 yards?”

I could go on, but that is enough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that “if you Google it, 40 yards is the farthest you will find,” is pure crap. The two first links in the Google search disagree with everything he’s claimed here. ns450f’s claim fails.

Signed,

A rifle hunter that doesn’t shoot much beyond 300 yards

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Fast forward 40+ years and people are shooting at animals from 100 yards with compound bows. Compound bows have made the archery hunt easier but they still get such long seasons.

Not only do modern compound bows make archery hunting easier when compared to stick bows but you also got a lot of idiots with no self control that can just go out and buy a $1,000.00 dollar bow and think they can hit a deer at 100 yards. This is unethical even if a guy can hit his target everytime at 100 yards because a deer or elk can literally take a step during the flight time of the arrow. I believe this is causing a large increase in injured and unrecovered animals.
Back when BOU was active, I took a deep dive into wounding rates and published stats and findings in the newsletter. I found a correlation between wounding rates and season lengths - the shorter the season, the higher the wounding rate. I found similar correlations on all big game archery hunts across the country with some whitetail hunts back east reaching as high has 50%. Utah muley hunts typically have around 17% wounding rate. I presume that shorter seasons pressure bowhunters to take shots that they would otherwise pass.

Utah has no data to compare compound and traditional and I've seen no comparative data elsewhere that suggests higher wounding rates with compound bows. But I'm pretty sure that if the archery seasons were shortened, wounding rates would increase and a big percentage of compound shooters would give up on bowhunting.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Looks like more than one of us wanted to put that strong claim to test…
Not me. I've seen Moose shoot and I've shot against him on a couple occasions. The guy is gifted, no doubt.

Reactions: TPrawitt91

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
You keep proving my point

Google ethical archery hunting distance and the furthest you will find is 40 yards.

When you start getting fuether than 40 yards an elk can take a step and your arrows goes from well placed vital to gut shot while the arrow is still in flight.

But practice at 90 and keep shooting at 60. Hopefully when that trophy bull steps out broadside at 90 yards and you know you can make the shot from practicing you will have the self control to not let one fly.....
Dude, if a hunter can drill tacks at 60 yards with his bow, does that make him unethical if Google, of all sites, says it's unethical? Come on, you know the answer to that.

Perhaps YOU are the unethical hunter beyond 40 yards?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Not me. I've seen Moose shoot and I've shot against him on a couple occasions. The guy is gifted, no doubt.
The claim I was putting to test was ns450f’s, not Moose’s. Although I’m here for a livestream of this little competition that’s been proposed.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Like Mr Cake, I just want to see it done--I make no judgements upfront but it's a rarity that someone pulls through on internet trash talk--just love that credibility! I am really hoping moose follows up with this cred test--will be disappointed if it gets left unanswered

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Like Mr Cake, I just want to see it done--I make no judgements upfront but it's a rarity that someone pulls through on internet trash talk--just love that credibility! I am really hoping moose follows up with this cred test--will be disappointed if it gets left unanswered
As soon as I get my bow put back together, I’d be happy to go shoot with you one afternoon. With the setup I have in the works, I should be able to clear the housing out to 145ish. We can just shoot that distance the whole time. But I won’t claim sub MOA groups at that distance

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I shot my bow up at the Miners Peak archery range last night. (I have a little range set up at the cabin) Hadn't been able to shoot for a while.
I may have to turn her down a bit. A bit disappointed at how I shot. Will keep working on it.
I'm absolutely no threat to MM right now. 😎
Sounds like he is WAY out of my league.
I was never know for being a great target shooter. But, I taken a LOT of animals with a bow. Always kept my shots under 60 yards.
I have a dedicated poacher tag this year, so I'll get dialed back in so I can bow hunt.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts