Utah Wildlife Forum banner
301 - 320 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
I have been eyeballing these Kodiak tents for a few years now. I went back and forth between the 10x10 and the 10x14, the basic and the deluxe. I decided on the 10x14 deluxe model, and picked it up today. I turned the sprinklers on and "seasoned" it. Yay! no leaks....Sorry no high mountain photo, just a dumb front yard set up.:mullet:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
I have been eyeballing these Kodiak tents for a few years now. I went back and forth between the 10x10 and the 10x14, the basic and the deluxe. I decided on the 10x14 deluxe model, and picked it up today. I turned the sprinklers on and "seasoned" it. Yay! no leaks....Sorry no high mountain photo, just a dumb front yard set up.:mullet:
I've had that exact tent in my shopping cart with my finger hovering over the "BUY" button way too many times over the years. Its a *really* nice tent. Congrats!

-DallanC

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have that tent, they're fantastic. You did well opting for the larger size.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
We are considering leaving the trailer at home and go back to tenting it for weekend family camp outs. With more people in the mountains, your not always guaranteed a trailer camp these days. Tents are versatile in that you have more options and can camp in places trailers can't sit on, or get to. Right now, we've been running a couple smaller tents, but it would make things more efficient to just put the family in one large tent.

The Kodiak Canvas 10x10 and 10X14 we've been looking at, though we'll probably try and put a stove jack in it. The trouble I have is the 10X14 seems like it would have a fairly large footprint. The bigger the tent, the harder it is to find a piece of flat ground to put it on.

The two tents in the attached picture is the Kodiak Canvas two man tent, and an Aluxe Minipeak XL.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Lone, that has been my exact issue. I started looking at Davis wall tent options. They look awesome, but was told for a family of 5 if the stove was going in, I’d need the 16x20 option. At 16x20 that really limits where you can put a tent and defeats the purpose, IMO.

Maybe a larger Kodiak Canvass is what the doctor ordered?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have had the Kodiak Canvas 10x10, and currently have the 10x14 and a Davis 14x16 wall tent. I've never had a problem finding a place to put any of them. I've never once thought "man i wish I had a smaller tent." Definitely go with the bigger tent. I have a friend that regularly sleeps his family of 6 (all on cots) in a Davis 14x16 with a stove. It gets a little tight, but its doable. IMO, a 14x16 wall tent with a stove makes the best camp. It's perfect for 4 guys on a hunt in any weather. I'm currently on my 3rd wall tent. My advice is buy Davis (they're awesome), and put more windows in it than you think you need. My current wall tent has a screen door and 5 windows.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not sure what the difference is or who copied who, but the Spring Bar tent made by Kirkham's in Salt Lake looks to be identical. I have owned my Spring Bar for more than 20 years, probably closer to 30. Great tents, and very stable. They will last you a life time. Mine will out live me for sure.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Not sure what the difference is or who copied who, but the Spring Bar tent made by Kirkham's in Salt Lake looks to be identical. I have owned my Spring Bar for more than 20 years, probably closer to 30. Great tents, and very stable. They will last you a life time. Mine will out live me for sure.
Agreed. I don't know where Kodiak tents are made, but that's a dead ringer for my Springbar Family Traveler, 10x11. Pretty sure Kodiak copied Springbar.

I also have a Kirkham's wall tent, I think 12x14 with a sewn in floor (my wife insisted I have it sewn in after the first trip and spiders.) Haven't used it in awhile. I made a wood stove for it, but somebody stole it from my camp site.

Edit- I see Kodiak is a PO Box in Layton. Where are they made? What does Kirkham's say about the company?

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Kodiak is made in China. That's the one bad thing about them. Springbar has been around since 1960 and designed originally by Kirkham.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Kodiak is made in China. That's the one bad thing about them. Springbar has been around since 1960 and designed originally by Kirkham.
Kinda figured as much. I bought mine sometime in the 1980's. I'd still buy the original.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Paddler...That is when I bought mine, sometime in the 80's. I was married in 76 and we bought ours not too many years later. Guess I have had one going on 35 plus years. Mine doesn't get used too much any more... We are into hammocks and tarps now days. If the Kodiak is as stable and well built as the Spring Bar, then it is a very solid tent.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The Springbar Highline series is made in China as well. You can still get the American made version if you want to pay $100 more for the same tent.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The Springbar Highline series is made in China as well. You can still get the American made version if you want to pay $100 more for the same tent.
Yeah I was about to reply and say the same. I remember hearing the name "springbar" before, and found them again yesterday while I was researching tents. If you check their website, they'll tell you which ones are made here in Utah, and which ones are made in China. If you dig around their website, they show pictures of their shop in China, and the people who work it. So for that I'll give them credit. Looks like a small team.

Both Springbar and Kodiak Canvas are Utah companies, but only springbar still makes some of their tents here, and in Utah from the looks of it.

In the end, after my wife and I were batting this tent thing back and forth, we ended up going the El Cheapo route and getting a Cabela's 10X10 lodge tent for $250 for the summer, as we just don't feel comfortable dropping 900-1600 on a family tent right now.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/cam...las-outback-lodge-tent-x/2437115.uts?slotId=2

Cabelas may have been bought out by bass pro (not happy about that), but their offering free 2 day shipping and still offer something resembling a veteran discount.

As an aside, once you try hot tenting, you won't want to go back. I REALLY had (still have) my eye on this:
https://springbar.com/collections/a...gbar-hot-tent-packages?variant=30706826772557

But.. it's sold out, will probably stay that way for some time, and not sure we want to drop this much cash right now anyway.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Hot tenting huh? Looks like a very nice set up. I'm just planning on using a Buddy Heater with a 5' hose and 5 gallon propane tank. I do like woodburners though, they keep you toasty.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
That's what I use for multiple days on the ice. Have to use the filter with the standard hose though, or it will destroy the fuel system in the heater. Going on 5 years on a refurbished portable Buddy I got for half price from Cabelas.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've never heard it called hot tenting before, but i guess that makes sense. Here's a live shot from our bear camp. Its pretty toasty in here. My wife just commented that it's so hot she can't even breathe. Might need to walk outside to cool off.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Hot tenting huh? Looks like a very nice set up. I'm just planning on using a Buddy Heater with a 5' hose and 5 gallon propane tank. I do like woodburners though, they keep you toasty.
Buddys are fantastic.

-DallanC
I've a little buddy heater myself. Works great at certain altitudes.... 7,000 ft or so sticks in my mind. Not sure exactly, but after some point, I've had reliability issues. I remember trying to use one on the Nebo last year, and it just wouldn't stay lit.

301 - 320 of 345 Posts