Utah Wildlife Forum banner
321 - 340 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
That's what I use for multiple days on the ice. Have to use the filter with the standard hose though, or it will destroy the fuel system in the heater. Going on 5 years on a refurbished portable Buddy I got for half price from Cabelas.
Specifically, to give more info on what you wrote: Propane leeches oils out of non-propane rated hoses (or cheaper quality hoses). This oil moves into the buddy, pools and thickens, plugging up the metal piping.

To lessen this, use expensive quality "bulk tank" propane rates hoses. Also, a regulator on the bottle will lessen hose pressure lowering leeching. Always use a filter with bulk lines as noted.

But, you can fully disassembly a buddy, remove the metal gas lines, soak them with carb or brake cleaner to loosen the oil then blow them out. Make sure you use soapy water to test pressure on all fittings when reassembling to catch leaks.

I've never had any issues with my buddy at any altitude staying lit. We use ours the most at a 7,700ft lake. I have a 5lb mini "bulk" tank, but I tend to just use small green "disposable" bottles. I refill those easily with an adapter i made (I dont use the cheap brass "refill" adapters so readily available, they dont fill the bottles enough). I dont have to worry about leeching or other issues plugging lines that way.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Right, I should have mentioned there are hoses you can get that don't do it. Mr. Heater sells one hose that's $21.99 that does require a filter and then another hose that is $29.99 that does not. I have the filter and hose setup because I didn't know about the buildup when I bought the whole thing. One day when it annoys me enough or the hose starts breaking down, or the filter gets clogged while I'm out and about, I will buy the other hose...but I'm too cheap to buy it before then. The other thing is that the hoses that require a filter are more flexible...the hoses that do not are extremely stiff in sub zero temperatures. I can deal with that I think but my use case doesn't require more than a couple feet of hose.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Right, I should have mentioned there are hoses you can get that don't do it. Mr. Heater sells one hose that's $21.99 that does require a filter and then another hose that is $29.99 that does not. I have the filter and hose setup because I didn't know about the buildup when I bought the whole thing. One day when it annoys me enough or the hose starts breaking down, or the filter gets clogged while I'm out and about, I will buy the other hose...but I'm too cheap to buy it before then. The other thing is that the hoses that require a filter are more flexible...the hoses that do not are extremely stiff in sub zero temperatures. I can deal with that I think but my use case doesn't require more than a couple feet of hose.
Yep, thats why I went back to green disposable bottles, I avoid all of that mess. I have 2 in my big buddy, then 2 more spares. We really dont get through the first two in a days fishing. I've never ever burned 4 bottles in a day, and i have the Big Buddy with the 2 ceramic burners.

Also consider people sell used clogged buddys from crappy hoses cheap on ksl. 45min of elbow grease taking one apart, cleaning it and reassembling can get someone a good working buddy super cheap.

Best buddy mod though, is a pilot flame wind resistor. Look on youtube for that. You simply bend a little sheet metal cover to protect the pilot flame from wind, 1 sheet metal screw or poprivet to hold that in place.

Another trick for anyone doesnt know, you can remove the front wire mesh turn it around and put it back on. It will stick out horizontally from the buddy now and you can use it as a grill rack for heating hotdogs or whatever :)

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Another trick for anyone doesnt know, you can remove the front wire mesh turn it around and put it back on. It will stick out horizontally from the buddy now and you can use it as a grill rack for heating hotdogs or whatever :)

-DallanC
These are cool too. I bring it ice fishing. Local guy makes then...

·
Registered
10 Posts
The lil buddy works great for me too. It heats up the tent or the box stand real quick! Be careful with the ventilation and ensure it's there. I almost lost my dad last year due to carbon monoxide. He feel asleep and accidentally left it on for a few hours during the night and thankfully only got nauseated and a headache. Besides that close call, it has been great.

·
Administrator
7,990 Posts
Surprisingly it was in the 40s at night so I took this

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
Gun Sight Pass High Uintas June 2 2021

Reactions: Bax*

·
Administrator
21,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
Christina Lake Wind River Mountains June 2021
Cloud Plant Sky Mountain Tent

·
Administrator
21,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
Wind River Mountains June 2021

·
Administrator
21,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
Rifle elk hunt Wyoming October 2020
Plant Plant community Tree Tent Natural environment

I usually just sleep on the ground but it rained 2nd day of season.

·
Administrator
21,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 ·
I thought of you yesterday when filling up in Evanston on our way home. I looked for you at the Chevron, but you must have been dodging rocks in the Windrivers.
Sorry I missed you. I was busy catching lake trout on a fly rod up in da Winds yesterday.

321 - 340 of 345 Posts