Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was so kind as to purchase a hog hunt in Texas at a RMEF banquet. I can hunt most any time with my schedule looking like Nov.,Dec., Jan. and Feb.as the best months for me, but when is the best Time for the Hogs?
The hunt area is between Austin and San Antonio.
Sure would like to hear from anyone with experience in this area.
By the way she bought the hunt for me and my buddy who spends the winter in Austin.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
A lot of guys go after deer season ends in January. I wouldn't go before late Oct. personally just as the likelihood of hot weather will keep the hogs less active especially during the daytime

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you're hunting over feeders, the closer to the end of deer season (early january typically) may be better depending on how the outfitter operates. Otherwise, I'd say it is pretty irrelevant what time of year. You may end up hunting at night with a spotlight which is always a pretty interesting hunt and then the next morning from a blind over a feeder or creek bed. For any night hunting, a good scope is important to take advantage of any available light. Full moons are also handy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ditto to what fishreaper said about hunting over feeders. Depends on what the hunt provider has set up. Most hogs go nocturnal if they are hunted hard during the daylight hours. In Mississippi after the first few weeks of hunting season they mostly go nocturnal and only go to the feeders after dark. They are pretty keen to hunting pressure and outdoor activity in their home grounds. I have found that when hunting at night a green spot light works the best as they do not appear to be spooked by it as much as with a red or white light. Have a green spot light that can mount on top of my scope with a switch that is mounted on the fore stock of my rifle.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I don't have any helpful information to offer, but I would appreciate it if you would give us all a report after your hunt is over. A Texas hog hunt is something I would definitely like to do at least once. Good luck whenever you do your trip. I'm sure you will have a great time!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts