Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to thank Jedidiah, BradN, and 30-06Hunter for helping this new guy to Utah with information to get on the elk this GS. Everyone hates the "I am new to Utah, where can I kill elk posts", but even a little info can go a long way. I hunted the South Slope in the Yellowstone Canyon area with my 68yr old father. We definitely saw a lot more hunters than we saw elk. But, by about Tuesday afternoon, the hunters left and the elk hunting picked up. I was really hoping to hear some bugling, but that was not the case. I had put the miles in during the off season and knew I was in a good area. After having several close calls in the previous couple days, I final tracked down this young bull in a meadow with his cows. I worked for quite a bit time to get in for a good shot. I had a traumatic eye injury to my right eye in 2009, so I have been learning how to shoot left handed the past couple years. I got as close as I could, but my last covered and concealed position was 267yds from the bull. I waited a bit for him to turn broadside and it allowed me to calm down. I hammered him on the first shot and he started to stumble away. I went on and hit him again so he wouldn't head off for the dark stuff. That did it and it made the pack out much easier. Thanks again for helping out "the new guy".
De Oppresso Liber,
Billy3136

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Thanks for the follow up, nice bull

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Congrats amd welcome to the state and forum!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Way to go. I did not grow up hunting and I don't have many friends that do. This board has help me learn a lot. One thing it has really help me learn is I don't know much about hunting but I LOVE getting outdoors

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Awesome job, and pretty dang cool to tag a branch bull your first year in UT. There are alot of people that hunt years before doing that (myself included). Good job - enjoy the table fare!!

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Nice! Well done!

·
Administrator
8,119 Posts
Fantastic!

I like threads like this cuz a guy wasn't asking for a handout and was looking for some help but was willing to put in the work.

Well done and congrats.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts