Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hunting Deer hunting Plant Trophy hunting Tree

I appreciate everyone on this forum for the information and encouragement offered! I stumbled on to this place by accident, asked as a long shot and am grateful that I was answered so quickly. I really enjoy seeing this kind of hunting community exists. I was fortunate to have been joined by an unexpected friend of a friend hunting partner and we got my first elk! The conditions were tough for sure our first glassing spot was in the clouds and with the rain and hail combined with 50 yd visibility, we hoped it would eventually clear up but after a couple hours it seemed to be getting worse. We decided to abandon the original plan and drove below the clouds and hiked about a half mile into the woods looking for a new view and heard a bugle. We were deep in the trees with no view so just kept slowing following the bugling For another half mile until we were right on top of him though couldn’t see anything. We waited for movement and a nice cow appeared at about 25 yds! I took my shot between a small window of trees and she went about 10 yds and layed down. The other cows came out of the draw and made their way out and then the bull bugled again and walked off. It hailed on us most of the time breaking her down but cleared up and was a slippery muddy pack out. It was such an awesome hard and intense hunt and I am now looking forward to going for a bull in the future! It was the utah elk hunt I was hoping for, and the coolers full of meat is a great bonus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts