Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Thanksgiving dinner

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  toasty 
#1 ·
Shot this fat Jake this morning at 200yds, give or take 5 yds, with my .22mag. ....no, I ain't lyin

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
If the truth must be known, at that range, the bullet simply stuck the beast and bounced off its skull, yet impacted with enough force to render the bird unconscious. When I arrived at the scene of the deed, the bird was just opening its eyes, just in time to see my boot land on it's neck and administer the coup-de-gras. Not visible in the picture is a rather large bruise, just above the birds eye, that stands as proof of the fine shot.

#12 · (Edited)
BP report matches our experiences with rimfire. Our family has been able to use 17 wsm and 22 mag on several turkeys over the last couple years. I shot a Tom with a 22 mag at a range of about 80 yards. Unfortunately, despite a blood trail for 50 yards, I was not able to recover it. A couple birds have needed 3 or 4 shots to finish and I regret to say we have lost a couple birds. We have killed a couple with single shots, but they have usually hit the spine or neck. I switched us back to TSS in a shotgun this year and we have been 3 for 3 this since switching back. I am not a fan of rimfires for turkeys and will be using shotguns moving forward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.