Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a thread about love. My recent posts have been somewhat opinionated and people have called it hate, jealousy, my way or the highway and lack of happiness. It’s okay I still love ya! I don’t hate the people that take animals ways that I don’t agree with, I guess it is more of a problem of the system that we all use to hunt these beautiful animals. As hunters we do need to stand together, but it’s okay to disagree a little. No need to be so hypersensitive. We all love the animals we hunt and we respect them to the point in our eyes that we see correct. So for the love of animals (don’t get your panties in a twist, this is not a anti-hunting post), what is the respect they deserve? As hunters, we call this “fair chase” and that justifies us to the point that we truly believe what we do is good. I have several animals that have made the Boone and Crockett club. You might say I am a trophy hunter, when the opportunity is there I am.

FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals.

I think we can all agree that it should be lawful, however being lawful does deal with the “system”. Not all lawful things are good, like a certain marriage law that the Pres. just signed, or certain people wearing spandex at Wal-Mart. Sorry, I digress.

Anyways, our fair chase should be lawful, free-ranging and in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals. I think we are all on the same page as far as the lawful and free-ranging, however, improper advantage is a very vague term. What does that exactly mean? Does it mean we should hunt naked and kill with our bare hands? I hope not, imagine the trail cam pic thread! Some people shoot trophies at 1000 plus yards. Some people use vehicles/atvs/snowmobiles/boats to hunt with. Some people hire a posse of guides to find “the trophy”. Some people use gps’s and computers. Some people hunt big game on wintering grounds when animals are at their most vulnerable. Some people hunt during ruts. Some people hunt over the only water hole on the mountain. Some people us cell phones and walkie-talkies. Some people have thumbs, which is a huge advantage. Some people use horses. Some people use guns and others use bows. Some people hunt on private land. Some people use calls and scents. Some people hunt fields. Some people hunt over natural bait. Some people use incredible optics. Some people take supplements to get in better shape. Some people hunt on “public land” but it is not accessible because of the private land surrounding it. Some people hunt on islands. Some people sleep in tents and trailers. Some people hunt on ranches with really big fences. Some people use dogs when trailing blood. Some people have a lot of money to buy special tags. Some people wear really good camo. Some people use big clips or quivers that hold more than 4 arrows. Some people beg for tips on online forums. Some people use trail cameras. Some people use night vision to scout with. Some people have DNR/DWR as friends. Some people have very nice wives that let them go out. We have evolved in our tactics and strategies. We are really good at hunting animals. We advance are strategies constantly (human nature), is it because the big game are doing the same thing, or is it because we want a better advantage over the game? Everything I mentioned above is legal. I do practice some of them.

Where do you draw the line that gives a hunter the improper advantage over big game?

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts
Slow day in Wyoming?

Spandex at WalMart? Yer from Evanston huh?

Really, are you OK? Snowed-in up at the cabin?

Hey, me and bugchucker can come up and dig ya out.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Slow day in Wyoming?

Spandex at WalMart? Yer from Evanston huh?

Really are you OK? Snowed-in up at the cabin?

Hey, me and bugchucker can come up and dig ya out.

Uhh, never mind I can't think of anything:shock:

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts
I thought I would start a thread about love. My recent posts have been somewhat opinionated and people have called it hate, jealousy, my way or the highway and lack of happiness. It's okay I still love ya! I don't hate the people that take animals ways that I don't agree with, I guess it is more of a problem of the system that we all use to hunt these beautiful animals. As hunters we do need to stand together, but it's okay to disagree a little. No need to be so hypersensitive. We all love the animals we hunt and we respect them to the point in our eyes that we see correct. So for the love of animals (don't get your panties in a twist, this is not a anti-hunting post), what is the respect they deserve? As hunters, we call this "fair chase" and that justifies us to the point that we truly believe what we do is good. I have several animals that have made the Boone and Crockett club. You might say I am a trophy hunter, when the opportunity is there I am.

FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals.

I think we can all agree that it should be lawful, however being lawful does deal with the "system". Not all lawful things are good, like a certain marriage law that the Pres. just signed, or certain people wearing spandex at Wal-Mart. Sorry, I digress.

Anyways, our fair chase should be lawful, free-ranging and in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals. I think we are all on the same page as far as the lawful and free-ranging, however, improper advantage is a very vague term. What does that exactly mean? Does it mean we should hunt naked and kill with our bare hands? I hope not, imagine the trail cam pic thread! Some people shoot trophies at 1000 plus yards. Some people use vehicles/atvs/snowmobiles/boats to hunt with. Some people hire a posse of guides to find "the trophy". Some people use gps's and computers. Some people hunt big game on wintering grounds when animals are at their most vulnerable. Some people hunt during ruts. Some people hunt over the only water hole on the mountain. Some people us cell phones and walkie-talkies. Some people have thumbs, which is a huge advantage. Some people use horses. Some people use guns and others use bows. Some people hunt on private land. Some people use calls and scents. Some people hunt fields. Some people hunt over natural bait. Some people use incredible optics. Some people take supplements to get in better shape. Some people hunt on "public land" but it is not accessible because of the private land surrounding it. Some people hunt on islands. Some people sleep in tents and trailers. Some people hunt on ranches with really big fences. Some people use dogs when trailing blood. Some people have a lot of money to buy special tags. Some people wear really good camo. Some people use big clips or quivers that hold more than 4 arrows. Some people beg for tips on online forums. Some people use trail cameras. Some people use night vision to scout with. Some people have DNR/DWR as friends. Some people have very nice wives that let them go out. We have evolved in our tactics and strategies. We are really good at hunting animals. We advance are strategies constantly (human nature), is it because the big game are doing the same thing, or is it because we want a better advantage over the game? Everything I mentioned above is legal. I do practice some of them.

Where do you draw the line that gives a hunter the improper advantage over big game?
OK, I've read your post twice now. You bring up some good points. But this is an outdoor forum for crying out loud; little room for love here, especially during an election year. To be honest, "happy posts" just don't sell. You might as well put the thread in the Recipe section.

And heck, I'm not so sure we even allow love on the Forum. I'll look over the rules and see.

Let me tell ya something. I've been married for over 40 years and love is very complicated. It's an art for sure.

Good luck with your thread.

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
OK, I've read your post twice now. You bring up some good points. But this is an outdoor forum for crying out loud; little room for love here, especially during an election year. To be honest, "happy posts" just don't sell. You might as well put the thread in the Recipe section.

And heck, I'm not so sure we even allow love on the Forum. I'll look over the rules and see.

Let me tell ya something. I've been married for over 40 years and love is very complicated. It's an art for sure.

Good luck with your thread.
WHAT!!!! I thought you loved all of us goob, that is why you share all of your recipes.... isn't it?

I guess our love on this forum is more like this:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Careful Derek, goob already has a hard on for me. He wanted to come to the cabin yesterday. Made me feel very uncomfortable.

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts
Derekp1999 says "What happens at the cabin stays at the cabin."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts