Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Meh

Votes: 13 26.5%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
21,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may not know this but I hold the Wyoming Boone n Crickett record for the smallest bull elk ever harvest in the Cowboy State. I got it road hunting using a center-fire rifle with cheap pointy bullets. uh....40-yard shot, base of the neck, as always:

Do you love it, hate it, or meh?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Then I have the Utah record.
The wife and I got one that looked just like that one night back in the late 80's. :mrgreen:

Was her tag, she asked "which one should I shoot", I said the smallest one, it's just
you and me to get it out..............

On a side note, was the best eating elk ever.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Best 'eating' bull elk for sure:!:

If-fact, might be the best thing to eat on the planet-----good stuff.

Reactions: c3hammer

·
Premium Member
3,836 Posts
:grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You didn't clean the blood before the photos, you left your hunter orange on, you didn't pose the animal well enough and you posed yourself too well acting like you drug it out alone. Then you got in front of the two year old to make it look smaller and mess with the scale. I'll bet it was much larger than you claim. I want to see proof of weight so I can sleep well tonight-- you know I like to worry about the accomplishments of people whom I've never met in person. And to top it off you hot spotted WY.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
I'd not agree on little ones being good eating. I got a little calf like that one year. It was a late season calf, and January when I got him. Thing was so skinny, no meat, no backstraps to think of. I got one small roast from each hind quarter, and maybe 20 pounds worth of scrap that I ground into burger.

·
Administrator
21,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd not agree on little ones being good eating. I got a little calf like that one year. It was a late season calf, and January when I got him. Thing was so skinny, no meat, no backstraps to think of. I got one small roast from each hind quarter, and maybe 20 pounds worth of scrap that I ground into burger.
Yeah, but I bet the liver was to die for. And the thymus glands are always the biggest, and the best tasting, on an elk calf.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I killed one of those last year and another again this year.
I decided after last year i would never let a calf walk again. By far the best eating thing to walk on 4 legs period.

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
40 Yards! You couldn't get farther away than that?
Plus, I don't see an outfitter's logo pasted all over your photo.:mrgreen:
Congrats on a fine elk.

·
Administrator
21,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
meh

Thanks fellas. 16 replies so far. I posted my smallest elk story on MM; got 3 replies, the last one was from the Moderator when he kicked me off.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
LMAO, sounds like one of my hunts.

My calf was right about that size. Was working in on a herd of elk that unfortunately busted out of the area. I was a little PO'd about it frankly... sat down in the shade of a tree. Wasn't 2 or 3 more minutes when the entire herd came charging right back down the trail in front of me. Good thing I had the old 7STW with my trusty 6.5-20 long range scope... those elk were at least 45 yards. Picked out a smaller fuzzy looking one with the pretty golden hair and pulled the trigger.

Didnt have nearly the grueling drag through 5" of snow though :mrgreen:. Very tasty though, one of the best.

meh

Thanks fellas. 16 replies so far. I posted my smallest elk story on MM; got 3 replies, the last one was from the Moderator when he kicked me off.
All the cool people have been kicked off MM at least once.

-DallanC

·
Administrator
21,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
LMAO, sounds like one of my hunts.

My calf was right about that size. Was working in on a herd of elk that unfortunately busted out of the area. I was a little PO'd about it frankly... sat down in the shade of a tree. Wasn't 2 or 3 more minutes when the entire herd came charging right back down the trail in front of me. Good thing I had the old 7STW with my trusty 6.5-20 long range scope... those elk were at least 45 yards. Picked out a smaller fuzzy looking one with the pretty golden hair and pulled the trigger.

Didnt have nearly the grueling drag through 5" of snow though :mrgreen:. Very tasty though, one of the best.

All the cool people have been kicked off MM at least once.

-DallanC
Cool story.

Uh...I made the MM story up. I don't go there much anymore. All the animals I kill are too small for MM.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts