Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the bison that the dwr is moving is going to be on indian land the news paper article doesn't say that but it does say they will be transplanted where some of the indian owned bison are. And if they are on indian land wont that mess up any tags they may issue in the future or will there be any of the same issues that the elk herd has gone through like on the Uintahs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
inbowrange said:
I was wondering if the bison that the dwr is moving is going to be on indian land the news paper article doesn't say that but it does say they will be transplanted where some of the indian owned bison are. And if they are on indian land wont that mess up any tags they may issue in the future or will there be any of the same issues that the elk herd has gone through like on the Uintahs.
The presentation I saw at the RAC showed that they figured there was plenty of space so the two herds wouldn't compete against each other. They might intermingle but the area was big enough that the bison would likely colinize new range instead of joining up with the indian herd. Some of the bison from the indian herd have taken off on thier own and currently roam the book cliffs. I also recall that they have worked out an arrangement with the indian tribe but I don't remember what that arrangement was.

·
Registered
272 Posts
inbowrange said:
So it is on Indian land them?
The transplants will be on public land but it is possible the bison will wander onto indian land. They believe they will stay on the public land but who knows for sure where they will settle in once released.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is great to see the DWR moving ahead to establish a second public herd. I wonder if there are other areas of the state that could be considered.

The Grand Staircase comes to mind; however with the federal protection I doubt it would be possible to establish a herd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts