Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now's the time to pick currants and this year is as good as they've been for 30 years in the Uinta Mountains.

The fall mushroom hunt has been a bust so far for us but we're not coming home empty handed; been picking enough currants for jelly and syrup. The tart jelly is the best and the syrup can be made into a glaze that is great on grouse or as a vinaigrette salad dressing.

Northern Utah bears, migrating birds, forest grouse and ptarmigan couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Recipe??

Just got back from chasing Blue Grouse...your not kidding..more currants then I can remember seeing. Few birds...lots of wind.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Plenty of currant bushes in southern Utah (around Brian Head) this year. Oh, and a bunch of raspberries too.8)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yeah its definitely a currant year. Or better yet, a berry year. Thimble berries, service berries were plentiful. I come across a lot of currant bushes this year with a lot of berries. I came a cross a red one with more berries than what is pictured above. I just wish I wasn't helping track an elk blood trail so I could harvest them. I was able to score on a bunch of elderberries that are already ripe today, though. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i havent eaten this many currants in years... they are huge, juicy, sweet and plentiful. an amazing crop.

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2016 was not a good year for currants.

Hey, currant jelly didn't jell? Who cares, just call it syrup instead of jelly and get out the ice cream:

Reactions: bowgy and Clarq

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
2016 was not a good year for currants.

Hey, currant jelly didn't jell? Who cares, just call it syrup instead of jelly and get out the ice cream:
[/QUOTE

Oh yeah, I can see that on pancakes and waffles:EAT:

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is only one h in "High Uintas"

Its another banner year for currants!

I ate currants all day up in the High Uintas today.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, Goob. I'll be picking some when I go up for grouse. Soon.

Reactions: wyogoob
1 - 13 of 13 Posts