Utah Wildlife Forum banner

the "delicate" prresentation

868 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cheech 
#1 ·
When you read a typical speal in a fly rod cataloge about this or that flyrod they will usually say that this or that rod can cast "for ever" and still make a "delicate" presentation. But I have had some contrasting experiences. The first time I fished the South Fork of the Snake, my friend who grew up in Idaho Falls and was acting as my guide kept telling me to "slap" the big salmon fly hard on the water next to the bank. So I made a less delicate cast. He said harder so I slapped it harder and sure enough the fish began to hammer it. When I was fishing hoppers on Huntington Res. a couple of years ago I found that if I made a "delicate" presentation and the hopper just sat there the very small fish would hit it but they were so small they couldn't get it in their mouths. But when I slapped it hard enough to make a splash on the water the bigger fish slammed it. Even when fishing a very small Uinta stream I have found that the fish hit a stimulator harder and faster when it hits the water hard. So my question is: Is the highly touted concept of a "delicate" presentation over rated?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.