Utah Wildlife Forum banner

the "delicate" prresentation

876 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cheech 
It doesn't hurt to be able to do both. Mayflies don't cause much of a plop. Delicate presentation is probably more useful than the plop technique.

orvis1 said:
For dries I throw with a 1wt and it will roll over and land soft (even with my casting) which is good when you are trying to be stealthy. When you throw the meat (hoppers, beatles, crickets, samonflies, or streamers) you want to make it know that dinner has arrived. It depends on the situation but I say you can always slap down some meat even with a "delicate" rod.
It really doesn't matter what rod you are using. It's all about the casting stroke. You can slap flies down on the surface with a 1 wt just as easily as you can delicately present it.

I think the rod companies are really reaching when it comes to marketing these rods. They get pretty caught up in telling you what this rod will allow you to do.

That being said, I think it's really interesting that some of the rod companies are kind of reverting back to producing "fishable" rods as opposed to fast, broomstick type rods. Look at the new Sage Z-Axis. Still fast, but slower than an XP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.