Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took several drives to Pineview finally breaking down and decided to try ice fishing. Can't stand sitting in the house anymore. :( So off to Sportsman to purchase a few necessities with the Santa gift card. :D Headed up to Pineview on Monday.

As novices to ice fishing our adventure begins as we drive around the lake trying to find a place to park and start the trek down to the ice. Couldn't find any parking on the north side leading down into the Narrows. Of course the port ramp had a huge wind row of freshly plowed snow blocking the entrance. Why can't they plow the **** port ramp area is beyond me.... :x :x :?: :?: I'd even offer some gas money if someone who enjoyed fishing and the safety of ice fishing novices would plow the entrance and a little of the parking area. Turned around and headed to the South side.

Finally, find ample parking in a pull out west of Poison Creek. Put the snow gear on and unloaded the fish'n sled we start the mountain goat trek....wasn't too bad except my fish'n partner let's go of the sled going down hill I'm in front of the sled and face plants me in the 3 feet of snow with the sled on top of me. :roll: Had to see it. Wasn't a bad winter wonderland trek down but little did I know what going back up was going to be like. Anyways, finally make it onto the ice.

Having our first ice hole done I drop in my line with a weight to check the depth. The weight hits the bottom about 25-30 feet. As I'm backing up and pulling out the line the fate fairy strikes and helps my lucky left foot find a previous ice hole and in the lake as I slam my left side onto the ice with my left leg completely submerged. Scared the holy whohas out of both of us as we're about 50-75 yards from shore. :shock: So as fate fairy will have it for beginners on the ice, within 10 minutes I find the only frick'n ice hole on the south side of the lake and fall in it. :x Thank the one above as I brought another pair of socks changed the wet sock but with a soaked left leg and boot I knew it was only a matter of time on the fate fairy will allow us to be on the ice. I tough it out and tell my fish'n partner to stay the hell away from me as I'm now paranoid we'll both fall through the ice as the fate fairy is watching us closely. -()/>-

Success...I catch my first ice fishing fish a small perch. Get the line back in had a couple of more bites but that was it. Now the cold starts to really set in on the left leg and foot with soaked boot decided to pack it in.

Now as we finally get off the ice an onto solid terra firma I look up and see exactly where we came from. OMG we're on National Geographic with the south slope of the Himalayas in front of us. We push through three feet of snow stopping every 15 feet or so to take on oxygen. With no guide ropes somehow we finally make it back up to the parking lot and our nice warm vehicle.

Lessons Learned:

1. Seriously realize you're not a vim and vigor 20 year old anymore or mountain goats so forget trekking down a little hill in 3 feet of snow because the little hill will be a mountain on the way back up and the 3 feet of snow will seem like 6 feet.

2. Stay away from places others have ice fished on....the fate fairy will ensure you find the only ice hole.

3. Have the fate fairy put fish'n partner in front of the sled next time there is any small downhill slope.

Sorry fate fairy still had fun learned some valuable lessons and will try again real soon....as it was a priceless experience. :) :)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
That's horrible! Sorry you got wet...That's the WORST in the winter. I know all about dipping a foot in the river or punching a hole in thin ice while attempting to fish at the frozen ladders (last year). BRRRR!

Sorry you didn't have a better outing. Better luck next time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That is the funniest story I have heard yet on the discussion board! Hope your next fishing trip will be a little less adventures. I can really relate to the Himalayan mountain range climb! Went to Scofield a couple years back decided I was going to walk to the Island from the east shore. Not necassarliy a bad idea except one small factor the powdery snow was two and a half feet deep! I was in udder despair on the way back to the east side after I had finished fishing (two miles) never again! I was waiting for a snowmobile stuck in one to two feet of slush to enter in the story. Glad to hear you caught a perch though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts