Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how everyone feels about this, they have taken the last week of the elk hunt and 86'ed it, placing it on the front of the hunt, so the elk and deer run the same time now, only the elk ends a week early...

I personally do not like it because-

1- It will make the opener a more of a madhose than ity all ready is.

2-The best time of the hunt for elk is during that last week, spikes, cows (which 95% of us are hunting)!

3-They say they want the 25 lucky people that drew to have the mountain to themselves, yes I said 25 :shock: ! Little do they know if they hunt that long and don't kill on our ridiculously high sucess rates, they would have the mountain to themselves anyway, 95% of guys have all ready hung it up for the year.

Anything I missed? I think we missed on that one, but on the other hand I knew it was going to happen and did not do anything about it so who am I to talk? :mrgreen: :lol: 8) :eek: :shock: _(O)_

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thats only in the spike units. The original proposal even extended the general arechery any bull areas a week but that was shot down buy those guys who worry to much about orange.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tex came up with a good idea, how about open it up 5 days early for those guys before there are 1900 hoochie mamas all over the mountain educating the elk. The last 5 days they are all ready wise on it so what is the difference? :?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
HOGAN said:
Tex came up with a good idea, how about open it up 5 days early for those guys before there are 1900 hoochie mamas all over the mountain educating the elk. The last 5 days they are all ready wise on it so what is the difference? :?
Funny story about hoochie mamas: I was hunting elk this year and about 9:00 I heard this hoochie mama call go off about 150 yards down the hill from me. it slowly got closer so I stood up and made the worst sounding cow call I could. I thought this would make him turn after realizing it was another hunter. Instead he started bugling and squeekin that hoochie mama constantly. He kept getting closer so I sat back against the tree and called softly. You should se the look on a guys face when you call him into range and he realizes what you really are.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
HOGAN said:
Where there paint fumes at UAC tonight or what? :? :roll:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
proutdoors said:
HOGAN said:
Where there paint fumes at UAC tonight or what? :? :roll:
U fix that "downed line".? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
U fix that "downed line".?
No, I am still out here in the wind and dark. For some reason the FAA thinks they 'need' communication between the air traffic control and the pilots. :roll: I am sitting at 10,000+ feet as I type.

How was shooting?

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Shooting was good Pro we missd you guys.

Back to the thread.

I persanally think Archery hunters should be able to hunt clear through the rutt like every other state in the nation. Move the hunt back a week and open it with deer! :? THAT'S JUST FLAT FRICKIN RETARDED!!! We already get screwed out of hunting them in the rutt for the most part and now it's a done deal.

Archery hunters in this state have been taking it up the tail pipe with a dry bone for a long time and this little rule change is just more proof of the same sh!t I've been witnessing for the last 30 years.

Less tags, hunt them in the heat of the summer before the rutt gets going, less areas, shorter season, spike only, what's next? Before you know it we'll be all gathered up and put on the Wasatch extended for one week, in July, spikes only.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
TEX-O-BOB said:
Shooting was good Pro we missd you guys.

Back to the thread.

I persanally think Archery hunters should be able to hunt clear through the rutt like every other state in the nation. Move the hunt back a week and open it with deer! :? THAT'S JUST FLAT FRICKIN RETARDED!!! We already get screwed out of hunting them in the rutt for the most part and now it's a done deal.

Archery hunters in this state have been taking it up the tail pipe with a dry bone for a long time and this little rule change is just more proof of the same sh!t I've been witnessing for the last 30 years.

Less tags, hunt them in the heat of the summer before the rutt gets going, less areas, shorter season, spike only, what's next? Before you know it we'll be all gathered up and put on the Wasatch extended for one week, in July, spikes only.
Hey, I thought all folks wanted is "opportunity", now here you are complaining about season dates and size of animals. What gives? :?

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
So, you say starting the elk archery hunt the same day as deer and knocking a week off the end when the're just statring to rutt good is giving bowhunters more oportunity????

I beg to differ. All it does is sweeten the hunt up for 25 LE tag holders that already enjoy a 95% success rate hunting during the prime of the rutt.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
TEX-O-BOB said:
So, you say starting the elk archery hunt the same day as deer and knocking a week off the end when the're just statring to rutt good is giving bowhunters more oportunity????

I beg to differ. All it does is sweeten the hunt up for 25 LE tag holders that already enjoy a 95% success rate hunting during the prime of the rutt.
I think you are using Tys calculator. :? It "sweetens" the deal for more than 25 LE tag holders. There are 10 LE units with spike tags, how many thousand any-bull archery hunters, the hundreds on the WF. And how does the new season dates hurt spike hunters? I say it is better hunting earlier than later for spikes. They come into water more often, are still with the cows, haven't been chased all over hell and back.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes they are still with cows, instead of hunting 2-3 spikes hanging out together, now you have to sneak into the middle of the herd to get to them. Good post Tex. We did miss you Pro, next week maybe. It was good to meet you finally Tex.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
I think the new season dates are great because hunters can hunt both elk and deer at the same time. The spike elk are easier to find because they are still herded up with the cows before the big bulls chase them off. It will reduce the conflicts between LE archery hunters and archery spike hunters.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
HOGAN said:
Yes they are still with cows, instead of hunting 2-3 spikes hanging out together, now you have to sneak into the middle of the herd to get to them. Good post Tex. We did miss you Pro, next week maybe. It was good to meet you finally Tex.
What are you talking about? Both you and Tex hunt out of treestands. :? :roll: Over water/wallows to boot! _(O)_

·
Registered
5,218 Posts

What are you talking about? Both you and Tex hunt out of treestands. Over water/wallows to boot!
Isnt that the boring/lazy way to hunt?

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
RAC Comment
Ryan Foutz- I just so happened to draw the Wasatch archery unit with 9 bonus points. I will use the spike hunt limited entry hunt as an example. I hunted hard and killed a nice bull. I hunted for 4 days and never ran into another limited entry hunter but ran into a large amount of spike hunters who were hunting with bugles and cow calls. It made my once in a lifetime hunt very difficult. I had to move to another area that did not have spike hunters. I noticed in the packet that there is a proposal that may be able to alleviate the pressure during the last week of the hunt. If the archery hunt/elk hunt/spike hunt is open at the same time as the general season deer archery, that would push that hunt up a week so there would not be an overlap. We need spike hunters to harvest the animals and lower the bull ratio on those units but it would also be nice for the archers to have the woods to themselves.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
That's the problem with taking it up the tailpipe with a big dry bone. There is always someone behind you with a nice big smile on their face telling you everything is going to be OK.

·
Registered
824 Posts
by TEX-O-BOB

I'm not even an archer (maybe someday) but here again is an example of the LE crowd making things "sweeter" at the expense of the GENERAL SEASON hunters.

Again, sorry to be so stuck on GENERAL SEASON but they are the only tags I can ever draw! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: And will only draw for 99% of my hunting life!

·
Registered
309 Posts
TEX-O-BOB said:
That's the problem with taking it up the tailpipe with a big dry bone. There is always someone behind you with a nice big smile on their face telling you everything is going to be OK.
HAhahahahahaha! |-O-|

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
10000ft. said:
I'm not even an archer (maybe someday) but here again is an example of the LE crowd making things "sweeter" at the expense of the GENERAL SEASON hunters.

Again, sorry to be so stuck on GENERAL SEASON but they are the only tags I can ever draw! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: And will only draw for 99% of my hunting life!
Isn't the any-bull areas GENERAL SEASON? If they are, and I am positive they are, this proposal gave them an extra 5 days to hunt with a bow, they now get 28 days instead of 23 days. So, please tell me how this was done at ?"the expense of the GENERAL SEASON hunters"? :roll: The spike hunters STILL get their 23 day hunt, and we/I talked with dozens of archery elk hunters BEFORE we proposed it for feedback, and the OVERWHELMING majority liked/loved the idea. So, please tell me again how this "made things sweeter for the LE crowd at the expense of the GENERAL SEASON hunters"? :?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts