Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way home from work the other day, I was listening to KUER radio and heard an interview with hunter and writer, David Petersen (no relation to me). He spent the better part of an hour talking about his feelings on hunting, hunting ethics and the spiritual side of being a hunter.

When I got home, I sat in the garage and listened to the rest of the program. I thought it was very worth listening to. Here's a link to the show's Web page where there's a link to an MP3 audio download.

·
Registered
210 Posts
A very interesting program. Here's something I took that seemed of great value to me.

I would rather go out into nature and become one with it, and kill my own meat, than purchase it from a store. It just seems more responsible and reasonable to seek out my own food, than have someone provide it to me.

I liked it.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Knowlton said:
This is such self serving, twisted BS. I hunt occasionally, and I am very clear that it is out of selfishness, nothing else. To try and justify it like he does is rediculous and flat out lying.
Wow you are a very classy person. I have read two of your post so far and both were very well thought out. :roll: Try and have an intelligent argument will you!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Knowlton, I will not say anything negative about you but I will disagree with your opinion.

IMO Hunting has nothing to do with selfishness. I ask you one question, What is selfish about going out into wilderness and relying on only yourself and your own abilities to survive for a few days and bring home some meat?

You may say that you can buy meat in the store for half the price, and that there is no logical reason that I need to hunt to survive. Well I say to you. Show me a store I can buy bulk quantities of elk or deer. Show me a church that brings you closer to god than sitting on a hillside he created in the sun he provides and having a private conversation with him, without a congregation or group listening in, without being judged by a school mate or co-worker for my beliefs. The nutrient factor the meat may provide my body is only one reason I hunt. It has more to do with my own spritual and mental health than anything.

If all you see is selfishness in hunting than you are doing for the wrong reasons.

A quick story- This year while hunting I had an oppurtunity to sit within 10 feet of some deer feeding through the area I was hunting. I could have shot a couple of in this group but chose not to. It was not becasue they were to small or a shot was not presented. It was because those are the moments I hunt for. That did more for my health (Physical, mental, and spiritual) than any meat or church meeting could have provided.

So for you to say that we all hunt and that it is because we are selfish is not only wrong but bit selfish of yourself to think we are all doing it for the same reasons you are.

So let it fly, do your worst.

·
Registered
39 Posts
truemule said:
Knowlton, I will not say anything negative about you but I will disagree with your opinion.

IMO Hunting has nothing to do with selfishness. I ask you one question, What is selfish about going out into wilderness and relying on only yourself and your own abilities to survive for a few days and bring home some meat?

You may say that you can buy meat in the store for half the price, and that there is no logical reason that I need to hunt to survive. Well I say to you. Show me a store I can buy bulk quantities of elk or deer. Show me a church that brings you closer to god than sitting on a hillside he created in the sun he provides and having a private conversation with him, without a congregation or group listening in, without being judged by a school mate or co-worker for my beliefs. The nutrient factor the meat may provide my body is only one reason I hunt. It has more to do with my own spritual and mental health than anything.

If all you see is selfishness in hunting than you are doing for the wrong reasons.

A quick story- This year while hunting I had an oppurtunity to sit within 10 feet of some deer feeding through the area I was hunting. I could have shot a couple of in this group but chose not to. It was not becasue they were to small or a shot was not presented. It was because those are the moments I hunt for. That did more for my health (Physical, mental, and spiritual) than any meat or church meeting could have provided.

So for you to say that we all hunt and that it is because we are selfish is not only wrong but bit selfish of yourself to think we are all doing it for the same reasons you are.

So let it fly, do your worst.
All of the reasons, while noble and true, benefit YOU. You did nothing but make my point. Which is ok, It just amazes me when people try to say it's about anything but serving ones self.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If that is how you look at life than yes it is SELFISH. We are a society of selfish people. I mean who would see the doctor for someone else, or eat for someone else, Who would go to a movie for anyones else enjoyment but there own.

The answer I would. I see a doctor because I love life and my kids and wife and want to be around for them. I eat because people depend on me, and I need the nourishment food provides make it through the day. I go to the movies to laugh, Laughter is healthy!

I am the most selfish man ever, I wake up each and every morning serving myself. Every action I take in no way ever has benefited another man in this world. The money I spend on everyday items has never contributed to the economy to help it flourish so that the next man can support his family.

Knowlton, you have a pour outlook on life. I will not contribute to answering your posts anymore as it would be selfish of me and not benefit or entertain anybody on this forum.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
What things do we do in life that would not be considered selfish?
I do feel close to nature and God in the mountains.
That's spiritual to me, and no one can take that away from me! :wink:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Knowlton said:
Are you really a grandpa, or is that just a screen name? I have a lot of respect for old people, so I don't want to say something negative to you if you are truly a grandpa.

Lynn
Why does ones age matter when choosing to say something negative or not? Why only be negative to young people?

And yes, Grandpa D is the real deal. A true gentleman.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Knowlton said:
Are you really a grandpa, or is that just a screen name? I have a lot of respect for old people, so I don't want to say something negative to you if you are truly a grandpa.

Lynn
Yes, a grampa of 7 but you can bring it on anyway if you want. :roll:

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
truemule said:
Show me a church that brings you closer to god than sitting on a hillside he created in the sun he provides and having a private conversation with him, without a congregation or group listening in, without being judged by a school mate or co-worker for my beliefs. The nutrient factor the meat may provide my body is only one reason I hunt. It has more to do with my own spritual and mental health than anything.
Call me a sheep but I totally buy this right here. 8)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Knowlton,

Why do you do your Biathalon thing?? Why do you choose to ride a mountain bike??? Why do you flyfish???? Who is that benefiting besides yourself? You could join a gym if its for the exercise & im sure that would be cheaper than buying a nice mtn bike or all the crap thats involved with a biathalon or flyfishing.

Some people dont hunt alone & it may be benefiting their kids, friends, spouse. Why do you type on your computer. It sure isnt benefiting anyone but you???

To me, something that benefits yourself is a luxury in life. I feel sorry for someone that has no luxury (especially mentally)

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Knowlton, here are a few of your posts so far.

There is just a challenge in fly fishing that *******'s etc....will never understand. Go ahead and continue to pull your truck up to the bank, drink your cheap beer and cuddle your toothless wife. I'll be out on the river.
According to Jahan, he should have taught me some class. I'm sure he's just mad because he spilled the beer he was having for breakfast
That's alcohol abuse. And maybe you should ssee a professional about your anger issues. Nice cowbo y avatar?
First of all what is wrong with someone who wants to drink? I don't drink because I don't like the taste of it, most of my friends do. That does not make someone a bad person because they enjoy drinking. You probably shouldn't come on the forums and knock everyone. I find it ironic that you can call people ******** and alcoholics, but talk about how we as sportsman's need to watch what we say around the non hunters. :roll: Once again very classy. :twisted: :wink:

·
Registered
390 Posts
jahan said:
Knowlton, here are a few of your posts so far.

There is just a challenge in fly fishing that *******'s etc....will never understand. Go ahead and continue to pull your truck up to the bank, drink your cheap beer and cuddle your toothless wife. I'll be out on the river.
[quote:0b36c]According to Jahan, he should have taught me some class. I'm sure he's just mad because he spilled the beer he was having for breakfast
That's alcohol abuse. And maybe you should ssee a professional about your anger issues. Nice cowbo y avatar?
First of all what is wrong with someone who wants to drink? I don't drink because I don't like the taste of it, most of my friends do. That does not make someone a bad person because they enjoy drinking. You probably shouldn't come on the forums and knock everyone. I find it ironic that you can call people ******** and alcoholics, but talk about how we as sportsman's need to watch what we say around the non hunters. :roll: Once again very classy. :twisted: :wink:[/quote:0b36c]

Very well said jahan!

·
Registered
390 Posts
truemule said:
Show me a church that brings you closer to god than sitting on a hillside he created in the sun he provides and having a private conversation with him, without a congregation or group listening in, without being judged by a school mate or co-worker for my beliefs. The nutrient factor the meat may provide my body is only one reason I hunt. It has more to do with my own spritual and mental health than anything.
+1 great post!

·
Registered
39 Posts
STEVO said:
Knowlton,

Why do you do your Biathalon thing?? Why do you choose to ride a mountain bike??? Why do you flyfish???? Who is that benefiting besides yourself? You could join a gym if its for the exercise & im sure that would be cheaper than buying a nice mtn bike or all the crap thats involved with a biathalon or flyfishing.

Some people dont hunt alone & it may be benefiting their kids, friends, spouse. Why do you type on your computer. It sure isnt benefiting anyone but you???

To me, something that benefits yourself is a luxury in life. I feel sorry for someone that has no luxury (especially mentally)
The difference is that I am not taking a life when I compete ina biathlon or mountain bike. It is not selfishness at the expense (life) of another being. AND I stated before that I have hunted in the past and probably will someday again.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts