Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Eastmon should not allow such short sighted views in what I felt to be an otherwise good magazine.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Oh ya very true ....I like how he picks out SFW I wonder why? At least I'm not alone about my judgments about them.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
elk22hunter said:
Eastmon should not allow such short sighted views in what I felt to be an otherwise good magazine.
One mans' "short sight veiws" sounds a lot like the truth to others.

IMO, those hunts should have to take place on private land, its public land and public owned animals why should someone be able to buy them?

There are better ways to finance wildlife maganement than those tags. Others states get it done without doing it that way.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I think that every hunter wants the biggest animal that they can get, I would think that the writers of this especially the one in eastmons would agree. What I took out of it was that some people arent happy unless they get that trophy animal. I always think a hunt is successfull whether or not I get a animal or not, it is a good time being where I love. Last year I took a 3 point for the archery buck season. Didnt hunt elk which I will do this year and I loved it. Would I have loved to get a trophy buck, heck yeah who wouldnt but that didn't stop me from taking him down and loving every minute of it. They did kind of make it out to be a bad thing that hunters strive to get trophy animals. I don't think that has ever changed, my grandpa always wanted the biggest buck, so did my dad and so do I.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree the trophy fixation is what is wrong with SFW and what is wrong with hunting these days. The SFW know they need the trophy-only crowd, and the money that comes with it, and so that is where thier focus is. Next year Utah will have a fight over the deer management plan and it is going to be trophy versus opportunity. You would think a group such as SFW would fight for opportunity but time will tell if that comes true. My call today is that they will fight for trophy over opportunity. I hope they prove me wrong.

In years passed you could count on hunters to congratulate you on a nice buck even if it was just a yearling two point. Now days there are many who look down on you for shooting a small four point because it won't make book. Which is ironic when it is the deer that grew the antlers not the person who shot it. The honor belongs to the animal not the hunter.

·
Registered
647 Posts
A few years ago the famed ungulate biologist Valerous Geist stated in a Bugle article that the reason hunting and game management works in the US vs. Europe is that even if you are the 'Emperor of China,' you have an equal opportunity at participation. These tags defy that principle and cause successive generations to quit hunting. The parasitic special interest groups advocating this type of tag distribution have become the most effective anti-hunting organizations in America.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
A few years ago the famed ungulate biologist Valerous Geist stated in a Bugle article that the reason hunting and game management works in the US vs. Europe is that even if you are the 'Emperor of China,' you have an equal opportunity at participation. These tags defy that principle and cause successive generations to quit hunting.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
This kind of "hunting" is not hunting. Some guy with a lot of money buying animals and having a pack of goons guide him around is not hunting in my book. Hunting is about the hunt the time in the hills and doing it 1 on 1. Since when did hunting become a team sport? Since when did our trophy animals get sold to the guy with the thickest wallet? Wrong....Wrong....Wrong :evil:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job.
Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Good article flint, you hit a lot of the ISSUES right on the head. Being a man good with recognizing real issues what is your stance or solution to this $trophy$ v.s. opportunity?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Flint good writing! all these articles are good reads. funny after reading these articles you really can see the changes as a young hunter you always dream about bringing home the moster muley, or the ghost of the mountain. but if you shot a a buck at all you were really excited. Now we train people to think that if you shoot anything not considered book quality you are just an undisiplined, not willing to work for your animal hunter. In hunting camps you all remember stories like he brings one home every year! he always has meat in the freezer! It did not matter the size of the animal it was about the hard work and consitesny of the hunter. If you are only hunting trophy quality animals, great pass up smaller animals and risk going home empty handed, but do not snigger at the hunter who does not pass up the small raghorn bull or the two point. Passing on a animal has become the earmark of a great hunter. I believe this is wrong. That being said there are times when passing on animal is the way to go when i draw a coveted LE tag. I hope i will have the self restraint required to wait for the big one! Actually a good guide would help with that. but really like will primos says most of the expierence is not getting an animal at all its just being their and trying, and getting into the great rocky mountains.(paraphrased)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
This is an email that just came in. My hat is off to this kind of Sporstsman taking care of future Sportsman. Like I said before Some are near sighted. Look a bit further than our noses and we have a bright future for our kids. Not to take away Hot Rods signature, but "You gotta love it Baby!"

A great way to start the new year!

9 rams and 13 Ewes were captured from Antelope Island (AI) and released today onto the Stansbury Mountains, 30 miles west of SLC. The goal is to capture 2 more Ewes and 11 Rams for the Stansbury and turn them loose tomorrow. After the spring lambing season, that should put the total population over 125 sheep in just 3 years. A good fire on this mountain last summer will produce excellent forage over the coming years. The DWR is working with the Federal Land agencies to get more water guzzlers put in to expand useful range on this high desert mountain.

Utah FNAWS negotiated two separate deals and invested over $75,000 in habitat work to clear the way for bighorns to be released on the Stansbury Mts. Two years ago. The initial transplant of about 35 bighorns has had excellent lamb survival the last two years.

After filling the quota of the Stansbury Mts. 20 Rams will then be captured on AI and released onto the Newfoundland Mts, about 75 miles NW of SLC. There are about 150 bighorns on the Newfys. Utah FNAWS negotiated a deal and invested over $80,000 to clear the way for this transplant 8 or so years ago. Transplants from Nevada and Antelope Island, along with excellent lamb survival has this herd well on its way, and in fact two hunting permits a year have been taken for the past two years on this range. Within a couple of years, the number of annual permits should jump to 6 to 10.

It used to take from 10-15 years from an initial transplant to be ready to hunt. However, with a substantial increase in available cash, and transplant stock, the herds are up and “running” within 5-7 years now.

Helicopter capture costs will be close to $25,000, and they will be covered by annual conservation permit funds raised by FNAWS. All sheep are equipped with a radio collars, and BYU graduate students majoring in wildlife management will monitor the expansion and survival of these transplanted herds. Another $35,000 a year project funded by sportsmen. If any lion mortality is observed, lions are removed on the second strike, you’re out policy. So far, in 3 years, only one male lion killed bighorns, and it was removed.

Thanks to all the generous donors.

Thanks to all the volunteers who helped on a cold day.

Thanks to the DWR staff for getting it done, and thanks to Pathfinder Helicopter

For any interested parties going tomorrow, the capture site is located just west of the State Park administrative offices on the NW side of the Island.

Several major newspaper and TV stations were on hand to cover the capture and transplant.

FNAWS – putting and Keeping sheep on the Mountains.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Hat's off to you, Flint. That's an excellent article. Thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
elk22hunter, I got the same e-mail. I was out there helping today. I didn't notice anyone from Eastman's there, I didn't notice any 'meat' hunters there, I didn't notice wyo2ut there. I DID notice SFW volunteers there, I noticed 'trophy' hunters there, I noticed several thousand dollars raised from these 'evil' tags being put to use. Strange isn't it? :? :roll:

All of you agreeing with these BS articles, do you think the animals "just happen"? Eastman's has issues with SFW, so I expect them to publish one-sided articles singling them out, to offer BOTH sides would mean they are not biased and they want the whole story to be told, since they DIDN'T, it should be easy enough to see they have their own agenda in mind, and guess what it is NOT any more 'honorable' that what SFW is doing and has DONE.

Today there was 20+ volunteers there, none of which are likely to EVER obtain a tag for one of these sheep. The money for this transplant came from where? All you naysayers, did you pony up any money to help fund this or other conservation projects that benefit ALL wildlife? That's what I thought! :roll:

Who is leading the fight against wolves? Who is funding the introduction of bison on the Book Cliffs? Who is leading the fight to get the rifle deer opening day law changed that will benefit ALL hunters? Who is responsible for MILLIONS of dollars spent on habitat restoration/improvement? Who is looking for ways to make the deer herds stronger and higher in numbers AND quality?

This whole topic ticks me off to no end. Why? Not because I see ANY validity to the absurd claims, but because apparently there are an awful lot of hunters who are CLUELESS on what it takes in TODAYS world, not 50 years ago, to manage wildlife AND hunters alike! :evil: I will not bother reading this thread started by who else again, feel free to slam me for being part of the 'demise' of hunting. I'll be busy freezing my butt off again tomorrow helping transplant more sheep! What a freakin joke. :x

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Awsome post pro! I think that was your best ever. I love it when someone speaks with passion!

No excuse is a good one but I'm in the middle of a root canal today and tomorrow. Wish I could have been there. Transplants are fun!

Its nice to rub shoulders with guys who care and aren't just a lot of talk.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Today there was 20+ volunteers there, none of which are likely to EVER obtain a tag for one of these sheep.
Doesn't that kind of defeat your entire argument or at least strengthen the other side? I think that is the point that all the "nay-sayers" are trying to make. And it is a simple point. When there is no potential return on an investment, it might cause a loss of motivation. what's the point?

If these volunteers are not going to ever get to hunt these sheep, what's in it for them? Is it the revenue from the tags, and what it could do for their cause? Something like that doesn't help me sleep better at night. Lately things have followed a steady trend of, take, take, take, for the alleged greater good. Limited this, limited that. I know that lobbyists are currently gunning for one of my favorite hunting oppurtunities. I don't need that.

At this point in my life, I'm for oppurtunity.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts