Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fair warning, this will probably come off as a rant, and it is. but I cant be the only one bitten by this.

This is my first year to actually put in for any kind of draw in utah, as i just moved here last fall for graduate school. I've spent hours on this forum gleaning information, as well as hours scouring through the not so simple website that is DWR. I put my wife and I in both for general season archery deer, and LE archery elk, both on the cache. Unsuccessful on elk, but successful on deer. yay for us. However, being from Alabama, I would like to take advantage of every opportunity to chase elk in my short time here, so i put in for the antlerless. Now i didn't go willy nilly about this. I looked up this years available permits, last years odds. compared numbers as far as which units got more tags this year than last, looked at terrain, etc. I really feel i did my due diligence as far as trying to give my self the best chances for my wife and I to draw. I have a fair understanding of how the utah draw system works (at least as much as a newbie can) and was really struggling with what areas to put as 1st and 2nd choice, since it is my understanding that second choice is pretty much useless anyways. and two days ago, i filled out our apps.

Here comes the problem. Its been bugging me about what i chose between the two, so i have decided to switch them. got online to do so and even called. Now, utah is a system where they can look up your tag from the computer in a game warden's truck. an untrained booger picking walmart working teenager can successfully sell you a license, and you can do pretty much anything you need online. But God forbid you rethink a decision on an application. In this glorious aforementioned system, one thing does not exist. an "edit application" button. now I've seen a lot of forum members complain about the misuse of money by dwr and all make valid points. but holy crap, it couldn't cost them that much more to add this tiny feature that seems fairly common place. but wait there's a withdraw application button. I'm sure they came free from the server company though. So now, in order to get a good nights sleep knowing Im satisfied with my application, (which still is no gimme on success) i have to forfiet the $20 on my original application, in order to pay another $20 for the new application for me and the wife. congratulations, DWR. you got yours. rant over.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Hmmm he's from Alabama and he can even spell...not too many of those folks around. :shock: My niece's husband is from Alabama and he can't count past 18. 10 fingers and 8 toes....so very sad.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
just be glad you changed your mind now instead of later. it gets expensive after the draw. and yes, they've had plenty of my money because i made poor choices. just because you see a WMA in a great area doesn't mean its not land locked by private. ever wonder what your elk tag tastes like....buyer beware

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess thats as nice as an underhanded compliment can be, lost one. and ADP I've tasted elk tag. Tried my hand at the extended archery on wasatch front. every two hour drive home empty handed, the aftertaste grew a little more.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
JMG- I hear you. They should make it easy and inexpensive to change your mind PRIOR to the deadline. That said, have you thought about just doing the OTC bull hunt? If you hunt an area with control tags, you can buy a cow permit too for $30. Of course, you're now up to a minimum $50 (bull only) or $80 (bull and cow), but you are GUARANTEED to have a tag. Hell, if you were driving two hours to hunt the front, there are any bull units closer than that too you. Or you roll the dice and grab a spike tag and see if you can find one of those elusive buggers on the Cache or any other spike unit.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I guess thats as nice as an underhanded compliment can be, lost one. and ADP I've tasted elk tag. Tried my hand at the extended archery on wasatch front. every two hour drive home empty handed, the aftertaste grew a little more.
the only poor choices you made were applying too early and trusting a state run agency to do anything that made sense. i moved here from the south back in 2002. both the hunting and permitting process is vastly different from what i was used to. it sounds like you took your time to make decisions. just remeber the state likes your money. they don't care if you're happy about it.

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
Hmmm he's from Alabama and he can even spell...not too many of those folks around. :shock: My niece's husband is from Alabama and he can't count past 18. 10 fingers and 8 toes....so very sad.
Hey, is there a little rivalry between Louisiana and Alabama? I thought we put Mississippi in there to keep you guys seperated;):p

Reactions: Jmgardner

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is frustrating! This has been a problem for me a couple times. I have two daughters, a son, my wife, and my Dad that I do the app for. I have made a few mistakes over the years and haven't been able to change them without paying more fee's. After I pay $30 per person for the 3 tags I put them in for and buy the a license for the people who's license is expired, I'm usually out a several hundred dollars. The last think I want to do is pay more fee's. I think you should be able to change things around during the app period. I guess as much as the DWR encourages hunters try to fill out their apps early, and as helpful as that would be to keep their website overloaded the night of the deadline, it's best just to wait until the last bug has been ironed out before filling out that app.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well as i mentioned I'm in grad school and taking a pretty rough load this summer and fall, so i stuck with the cache just for the amount of public land as compared to some of the any bull units, and the fact that its close enough for me to scout without giving up full consecutive days if that makes sense. and archery so id at least have 4 or 5 weekends if i couldn't slip away during the week. i plan on buying a spike tag in case i see one while deer hunting i won't have to hold a tear back as i watch it walk away. i do appreciate the suggestion though! as as far as a rivalry, I've never known of one other than the fact that auburn is the only real tigers in the sec ;-) and as far as missing fingers, toes, and teeth, or not being able to count them, id say alabama mississippi and louisiana are pretty neck and neck with each other

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
Sometimes your humor causes me to ponder------

·
Registered
854 Posts
I put in and somehow clicked the hunt below what I meant to and had to withdrawal and start over. In their defense it did give me like three chances to double check stuff. I didn't cause I swear I double checked the one I clicked, oops..

·
Registered
854 Posts
Plus, it's a private party that conducts the draw and applications. So I don't think your blaming the right people.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the private party is payed by the DWR to run the process I'm sure. probably overpayed at that. so it is still valid to blame the DWR for allowing the process to be how it is.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Fair warning, this will probably come off as a rant, and it is. but I cant be the only one bitten by this.

This is my first year to actually put in for any kind of draw in utah, as i just moved here last fall for graduate school. I've spent hours on this forum gleaning information, as well as hours scouring through the not so simple website that is DWR. I put my wife and I in both for general season archery deer, and LE archery elk, both on the cache. Unsuccessful on elk, but successful on deer. yay for us. However, being from Alabama, I would like to take advantage of every opportunity to chase elk in my short time here, so i put in for the antlerless. Now i didn't go willy nilly about this. I looked up this years available permits, last years odds. compared numbers as far as which units got more tags this year than last, looked at terrain, etc. I really feel i did my due diligence as far as trying to give my self the best chances for my wife and I to draw. I have a fair understanding of how the utah draw system works (at least as much as a newbie can) and was really struggling with what areas to put as 1st and 2nd choice, since it is my understanding that second choice is pretty much useless anyways. and two days ago, i filled out our apps.

Here comes the problem. Its been bugging me about what i chose between the two, so i have decided to switch them. got online to do so and even called. Now, utah is a system where they can look up your tag from the computer in a game warden's truck. an untrained booger picking walmart working teenager can successfully sell you a license, and you can do pretty much anything you need online. But God forbid you rethink a decision on an application. In this glorious aforementioned system, one thing does not exist. an "edit application" button. now I've seen a lot of forum members complain about the misuse of money by dwr and all make valid points. but holy crap, it couldn't cost them that much more to add this tiny feature that seems fairly common place. but wait there's a withdraw application button. I'm sure they came free from the server company though. So now, in order to get a good nights sleep knowing Im satisfied with my application, (which still is no gimme on success) i have to forfiet the $20 on my original application, in order to pay another $20 for the new application for me and the wife. congratulations, DWR. you got yours. rant over.
Some people don't know when they got it good. You could have been a non-resident that put in for wasatch cow and pay $218 for a tag that they then sold for $93 to anyone that had a spike tag for the same unit.
I wish it only cost me $20

·
Registered
226 Posts
the private party is payed by the DWR to run the process I'm sure. probably overpayed at that. so it is still valid to blame the DWR for allowing the process to be how it is.
Actually, my understanding of how it works is that the private party collects the money you paid in application fees, keeps most of it, and sends DWR the rest. Why would it behoove them to change it when they both get money from it?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
There is probably a method to the madness. I cant tell you how many times ive applied and then realized I goofed or had second thoughts about what i should have selected or selected as 1, 2, or 3. If the DWR allowed unlimited editing of ap choices until the deadline I`m guessing thier administrative cost for the system would skyrocket. Bottom line is everyone is responsible for your own app. If you make a mistake or have second thoughts its your deal...own it. But with that said I can sympathize with you. It sucks because it is a once a year deal and it blows to mess it up. I've been there.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hey, is there a little rivalry between Louisiana and Alabama? I thought we put Mississippi in there to keep you guys seperated;):p
No, Mississippi is there to make everyone feel better about themselves. Trust me. I grew up in Arkansas.

I feel your pain Jmgardner. I thought I was all set until I drew an expo tag. That changed everything including my apps, which made a significant dent in my wallet. Like you, I assumed there was an edit option. Sadly mistaken.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im not tryin to play victim. and this past fall i even paid out of state for my tags and license cuz i hadn't been here long enough yet. don't get me wrong, i am always willing to put money out for a chance to hunt. heck i just bought the wife and I turkey tags thinking i had time to hunt only to go 3 times and eat tag soup. still worth it, cuz i was hunting. this post really is just about the lack of the edit button. i get the administrative costs angle, but i don't think it justifies not having one. and if the dwr allows some private party to keep most of the money from the apps, then that still is a mistake on the part of the DWR so they're not off the hook.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts