Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was from last Friday with myself and boys shooting 28ga and 410s. All wild birds. Only thing we weren't able to bag is any wild roosters. The boys were only able hit 1 chukar, they were tough, but they were able to take several quail. My older son hit a couple wild flying quail which he was proud of. My younger son still gets to ground pound quail. They also did surprisingly well on the ducks. My younger son hit a hen with his 410 at 45 paces. It is amazing what 1/2oz of TSS #9s will do. For the internet trolls, the pic of the boys was the last jump of the day just before end of shooting, the 10 ducks total were taken throughout the day.

Attachments

· Registered
762 Posts
Way to go, boys! I wish mine were interested. I'm walking the fine line between exposure and forcing them at the moment. I figure they'll probably never come if I mandate it, but maybe a little exposure here and there will eventually spark something.

· Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
951 Posts
One of those ducks looks like she had a neck extension surgery. That's such an awesome day with the kiddos. Is that out in the Uinta Basin?

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of those ducks looks like she had a neck extension surgery. That's such an awesome day with the kiddos. Is that out in the Uinta Basin?
My 11 year old was learning how to ring a ducks neck. It didn't go very smoothly, but he got the job done. I know of 5 or 6 spots in utah a limit like this is possible with wild birds and the Uinta Basin is one of them, but this was much closer to the wasatch front than the Basin.

· Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
951 Posts
My 11 year old was learning how to ring a ducks neck. It didn't go very smoothly, but he got the job done. I know of 5 or 6 spots in utah a limit like this is possible with wild birds and the Uinta Basin is one of them, but this was much closer to the wasatch front than the Basin.
Good for you. The quail had me wondering. What a great time for such an awesome mixed bag. Keep the kiddos out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts