Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For almost my entire working life, I would take a vacation around the general deer hunt. I wouldn't always have a tag, but would come anyways to help family with their hunt and most importantly, spend time with family and good friends. I guess it is just something in my biological clock. Well, this year for a variety of reasons, the buddy I do most of my big game hunting with and I decided to just buy a point for general deer. I didn't draw any other tags, so no hunting for me this year. Nevertheless, I still decided to take a few days off this week like I normally would.

Here is how my "hunt" went.

The first day, I wrestled this fish onto the float tube.

I went ahead and kept it. I still have mixed feelings about doing it, but it provided 3 nice packages of red meated goodness.

The next day, the fish were a little smaller, but were a bit prettier. I never tire of chunky fall brookies.

The next day, I spent the day doing stuff with my wife and family. Sorry, no pics.

Then my brother and I tried to hike to the top of the world. Well, the top of a certain part of the Wasatch range. ;-)

Anybody fish here before?

And higher yet.

This was not something I would expect to find at 10,300 feet on October 15th.

Finally, I stopped by the stream for a couple hours on the way home. These pictures were taken specifically for Garyfish.;-)

Good luck to all you guys heading out on the hunt this week. May you find what you are looking for.

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
great stuff, wow

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Thanks for thinking of me! Love your report. Fishing on the deer opener. OUTSTANDING!

One year many many years ago, my son was barely 3 years old. He and I went to fish Strawberry on the morning of the deer hunt opener. We pulled into the Ladders area just before daylight and right there staring at us were 3 little bucks - one spike and two forks. Well, we got out and fished a good part of the morning and managed to catch a few fish in between throwing rock and trying to catch some crawdads. Those little bucks just hung around the fishing area all morning - probably until around 10:30 or 11. It was outstanding!

Fishing in the fall is GREAT! Thanks for sharing, even if you were "bait fishing." ;-)

Reactions: Catherder
1 - 7 of 7 Posts