Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does a thumb button release really make you more accurate? I know a few guys who shoot them and they tell me it made them more accurate when they switched. I shoot a scott shark right now and I love it and I shoot very well with it but I was thinking would it tighten up my groups even more if I switched? any input on this would be great and which brand would you suggest?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I shoot a hardcore 4 finger thumb release and absolutely love it. I can't say I'm more accurate with that over my hunting release. If your groups are opening up maybe check to see if you are punching your trigger. A pull through release helped me with consistency and my form. Maybe look into one of those like the hamskea break thru.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Shooting with back tension will tighten up your groups... doesn't matter what kind of release you're using... back tension can be done with all of them.

It's probably easier to master with a thumb or hinge release, but the concept is the same.

You can punch a thumb release and screw up just as bad as with a finger release, target panic is target panic.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Going with a thumb trigger can make you more accurate if you had problems getting a consistant anchor point with a wrist style release. However if you had a consistant anchor point and release with a wrist strap release you wont notice better groups.

What tightens up your groups is proper form and execution. I'd say 90% of the shooters I see are handicapping themselves with too long of draw. Especially the male bowhunters. They all have speed envy.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Going with a thumb trigger can make you more accurate if you had problems getting a consistant anchor point with a wrist style release. However if you had a consistant anchor point and release with a wrist strap release you wont notice better groups.

What tightens up your groups is proper form and execution. I'd say 90% of the shooters I see are handicapping themselves with too long of draw. Especially the male bowhunters. They all have speed envy.
And they wonder why they keep smacking their arm when they shoot.

·
Registered
346 Posts
We all have that one friend that's struggling to pull it back, way too long of a draw but he always tells you "Well I'm getting 356 fps what about you?"

Reactions: manysteps

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I agree when I got my first quality bow I was shooting a 28 inch draw which I never had my draw checked, but then I purchased a bow from a guy that was set at 27 inch draw come to find out I should have been shooting 27 all along. as for the consistent anchor point I dont usually have trouble with that but I have recently been getting more interested in learning how to shoot a thumb button/ back tension release

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have been playing around with thumb releases and hinge releases for a couple of years now. The accuracy potential is phenomenal. As previously mentioned, proper technique and form are paramount. If I were to rate the different release types, I would rate them as most accurate: 1) hinge release, 2) thumb release 3) wrist release and 4) fingers. All can be shot with great accuracy.

If I were to rate the different releases for hunting, I would rate them just the opposite: 1) fingers or wrist, 2) thumb and 3) hinge. For me, being able to control the exact moment of arrow release when hunting is paramount. Idiot Proof Archery is a good read. Bernie does a good job of explaining release types and styles. Another great read is <padgettarchery.com.> He explains several release engines, some of which can be applied to thumb releases.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts