Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any tips for finding elk in heavy timber. I am finding a lot of the uintas are pretty heavily forested for picking a high spot and glassing to be really effective.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
A big fire?
Oh wait, the boy scouts already tried that one up there and it didn't work very well.:cry:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Anybody have any tips for finding elk in heavy timber. I am finding a lot of the uintas are pretty heavily forested for picking a high spot and glassing to be really effective.
I wouldn't say i'm experienced but...Hit up the north facing mountains with timber...your bound to find elk. oh and they will be high up...
I just did that today(wasatch front) and ran into a spike he was tucked way almost near the top of the mountain X(

Crap i posted the a picture to the wrong thread...awkward

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
In the uintas I have always just hiked the north slopes near the tops of the ridge and have ran into elk. Never have I found a lot up there though.

I'm not a uinta expert though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So hunt some areas with meadows. Elk on the unitas use spruce/fir stands to hid in during the day and come out into meadows to feed. Dark timber doesn't have much food for elk, and so they are not the best areas to look unless they have meadow habitats to use adjacent to the timber. Aspen on the other hand provides food and cover. If you have aspens interspersed with meadows, bingo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts