Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im somewhat new to this forum and all forums in general.
Please forgive my possible lack of forum etiquette if I make any mistakes please let me know where I need improvement. I have posted a few times before and haven't gotten any responses. I figure I must be doing something wrong.

Im posting for help regarding Utah's general bull elk tag.
This is the first year Ive purchased one and Im curious about where to start scouting. (I know its the 11th hour). From the research Ive gathered through friends and online, it seems like Ogden, North Slope, South Slope, and Yellowstone units are my best bet. Any other suggestions?

Any advice is much appreciated.
I am happy to share info about the North Slope unit. I have hunted deer in that unit for the past 4 years and know the area pretty well and where we have harvested deer.
Last year I saw 2 monster bulls from a distance in the North Slope and pointed a few elk hunters in their direction. I don't know if they were harvested but it seems like a decent general bull elk area.
I didn't draw any deer tags this year so Im happy to share what I know.
I will also be hunting elk near Star Valley, Wyoming for the limited entry tag beginning October 1st. Ill let y'all know how that goes.

Thanks for considering!

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I agree with these guys!

As for forum etiquette...generally, even first time posters get some decent help on LE/OIAL tags, since it is unlikely that the individual asking or the individual giving info will get to hunt that area again/often. But general season (especially gs any bull elk) is a much touchier subject, as you can expect to hunt it regularly. I personally don't jealously guard my honey holes like that, but unfortunately for you, I don't have any for GS any bull! I was always a spike guy that preferred to look for unicorns while actually seeing elk.

If you stick around, participate, and especially report back on how hunts went you'll find there are some pretty great people on this forum that are willing to help you out when you ask.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
IMO, the key to hunting general bull elk is to stick with an area and figure it out. It takes years in most cases to become successful. If you are familiar with the north slope and saw 2 monster bulls there just last year you dont need help from anyone on this forum. You are already way ahead of most hunters. The north slope is one of my favorite places on earth. Not many places more fun than the north slope to take on the learning curve. Good luck wherever you go. Let us know how you do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
791 Posts
Amen, to what has been said. I have hunted Elk on the NS my whole life and have never seen two monster bulls. So I would start there. I harvested my first GS bull last year and it was a spike with eye guards. I was as proud of that bull as I am my two bigger LE bulls. Pick an area and stick with it. There are some good threads on advice for GS elk.

I have a NS Deer tag and would take any help you could provide. I have a plan but am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I found a place several years ago on the general rifle elk hunt in southern Utah where the elk would pass through once pressured from their honey holes. I would be in that spot every chance possible throughout the season. Sometimes it would take several days before I ran into them, but almost without fail I'd run into them. There were times when all the bulls would be shot out but about 50% of the time I'd end up harvesting one. It was a great run and people would without fail ask "why do you keep beating a dead horse, same place every day?'" I'd give them a piece of elk jerky and tell them "It's all I know." I've since traded the rifle for a bow as my patience and focus have waned a little, but if I were to rifle hunt again, I'd probably be right back in that area.

I guess what I'm saying is learn an area and stick with it. It will eventually pay dividends.

·
Super Moderator
10,137 Posts
I found a place several years ago on the general rifle elk hunt in southern Utah where the elk would pass through once pressured from their honey holes. I would be in that spot every chance possible throughout the season. Sometimes it would take several days before I ran into them, but almost without fail I'd run into them. There were times when all the bulls would be shot out but about 50% of the time I'd end up harvesting one. It was a great run and people would without fail ask "why do you keep beating a dead horse, same place every day?'" I'd give them a piece of elk jerky and tell them "It's all I know." I've since traded the rifle for a bow as my patience and focus have waned a little, but if I were to rifle hunt again, I'd probably be right back in that area.

I guess what I'm saying is learn an area and stick with it. It will eventually pay dividends.
Those places are guarded like Ft. Knox.

I have the same kind of place, if you have the patience you will get a elk, and it will be within 50 yards of a road. You might have to sit there for almost the whole hunt but you'll shoot a elk.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
I have the same kind of place, if you have the patience you will get a elk, and it will be within 50 yards of a road. You might have to sit there for almost the whole hunt but you'll shoot a elk.
I'm still waiting for my invite to this place. Offer to bring the food and beverages still stands! :)

·
Senior Goof
3,647 Posts
I mean.. If you are familiar with the North Slope - then you have as good of a chance or better at a GS Bull as anyone else. That's not a bad place to be for elk.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
It's been said by others here, but GS open bull info is generally kept under lock and key. It's taken several years and lots of boot rubber to start to figure out an area for me. Being willing to trade information is a good start, but there's not much I'd trade my intel on the open bull units for....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts