Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
A deer hunting tradition!

Traditionally my family and I use to hunt the Skyline Drive area with our 30.06 rifles for deer. Is this how you define "Traditional"? Would you care to define traditional so that Doc White and I can pour some grey matter into your cranium…….Bigbr

·
Registered
897 Posts
I see Two potential problems. First, Bigbr makes a good point. It would be very difficult to legally define a "traditional" hunt in such a way as to be inforcable. Second, there are allready so many "specialty hunts" that it would be hard to find the time to squeeze another one in.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Traditional should mean: Exposed hammer, exposed nipple or flintlock or bow without wheels or cams.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don't know what a traditional only hunt would accomplish. The muzz hunt is not crowded at all right now, so you really wouldn't gain anything if you're a traditional hunter and want everyone else off the mountain. A late hunt would be sweet, but a general hunt that late may be kind of hard on the deer. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. I think a late season muzzleloader hunt would be a fabulous idea if it were done right. You'd have to limit the tags, either by making it LE or just making another general hunt with a few hundred tags. Limiting the tags would keep most of the pressure off the deer, and if it was LE you'd cycle a lot of folks through the bonus point pool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts