Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an article on the use of Trail Cameras on KSL. Here is the link.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1954032

I have always wanted to use one they sound like a lot of fun. It said in the article though that you are supossed to have permission from the apropriate goverment agency when putting it on public land. Is this true?

Mark

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have been using one for several years, amd have never heard of having to have a permit or approval to do so. there is a permit needed if you are filming wildlife on federal ground and then using the footage commercially or to sell. but i hardly see how that would apply to an individual using a trail cam for personal use. i hope someone here has some solid info on this. I am interested to learn of this supposed permit.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
archery is correct. You only need a permit if you use the images for commercial purposes. This is an overall principle that applies to any use of federal lands such as National Forests, National Parks, BLM, or Wildlife refuges. If must have a permit to condut commerical enterprises on federal lands. Commercial exercises can be cattle grazing (grazing permit), mining (huge permitting process), timber, hunting/fishing guide, photography, christmas trees, firewood gathering, etc.... Some permits are as simple as filling out a card and paying $10. Others involve extensive environmental impact assessments/statements and take years to prepare.

Back to the trail cam - You only need a permit if you sell the pictures.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts