Utah Wildlife Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had tried out a cheap camera a few years ago and was thrilled when I saw 110 on the picture count. Got home and there was 110 pictures of grass blowing in the wind. Soooo disappointing. I picked up a browning for about $100 about 2 weeks ago. I put it up where I know some animals are and left it for a week. I believe I got about 140 pictures. It worked fantastic. Cow and bull elk, some deer, a cow and baby moose, even 2 coyotes. Very impressed with it's results, no moving grass pictures.

·
Super Moderator
9,415 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that if you placed your Browning camera in the same location that the other cheap one was at you would get a lot of blowing grass pictures.

That is one thing about cameras that will take a photo when something moves through its electric eyes area, it will take a picture of it. That is also one of the learning curves of where to place them.

The first time that I placed one of mine out I had a lot of photos of a branch moving, now after I cut that branch I get more animals.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think you are probably right. This unit is much smaller and the picture quality is pretty good.
With wind there is always going to be movement of vegetation, what are the tricks to deciding a good spot for a camera? What about still pics vs video?

·
Super Moderator
9,415 Posts
I have most of mine in the timber on trails that go to their feeding area. If I do place it into a clearing I'll aim it a little higher than normal and trim as many branches as I can to keep them from triggering the camera.

The big thing is that it is a learning curve to figure out what is right for your situation and where you are setting them up at.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I I think I'm going to try video when I change out cards next time. Those are cool videos and you definitely get a better look at the animals.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Looks like the browning cam is actually better at not being tripped by vegetation quite as often as less expensive cameras. I picked up a couple more cameras that were on clearance at Walmart. I believe they are wild game innovation? Anyway they definitely have less bells and whistles compared to the browning. I have used both in the exact same spot and there were many many more pictures of nothing with the cheaper ones. They did however take decent picutres both day and night of animals. I am trying the video function on the cheaper camera now to see how the quality and longevity of the storeage is. The videos I got from the browning are really cool to watch, much more to them than you can see in a still pic alone. Thanks for the link DallanC! One more question. How well does the scent remover work on keeping the elk from chewing on the camera? I have some videos of a cow on multiple occasions chewing on the camera and the camera straps.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Trail cams are fun I finally broke down and bought a more expensive one. As I noticed it does not get triggered by wind nearly as often as the cheap Bushnell I first bought. That thing would drain the batteries taking pictures of nothing. My new stealth cam will take pictures of chipmunks but hardly any twig pics it's nice.

I am curious how these bucks finish as these pics were taken 3 weeks ago at the cabin. Curious to see their growth headed back up in two weeks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
hazmat, why is the resolution of your pictures so bad?
Did you take a picture of the tv or computer screne?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Ya ridge I was in a hurry and took the pic off the computer after I downloaded them. The actual photos came out pretty good.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts