Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one used these I drew a limited elk tag and was thinking about getting some any Ideas as far as fair price and makes for them would be great.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I love my bushnell trophy cams. But expect them to be taken if found by other people.
That's what bear proof boxes, cable locks, chains, and padlocks were made for.

-O,- -O,- :mrgreen: :shock:

⫸<{{{{{⦇°>

·
Registered
169 Posts
cabelas has nice cameras. I have a few other brands and they seem to work pretty well most of the time. If you are in a high traffic area of people I would reccomend a cheaper camera.

·
Registered
325 Posts
There are plenty of cheap options out there that take decent photos. I prefer to use cheap cameras so when they get stolen or tore off the tree by an elk or bear I am not too disappointed.

Hawkeye

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My grandfather taught me a lock only keeps an honest man honest. If you put it in the woods there is always a chance someone will take it.
No doubt. But if you make it hard to take, it won't be easy for it to grow legs and walk away.

I've owned LeafRiver cameras, but technology has left them in the dust. I don't think they're even made anymore.
I've got a Bushnell that I like.
And I've got a Browning Dark Ops that I really like.

The new Bushnell cameras are awesome.

I prefer good quality videos over pictures. I want to enjoy the videos regardless of what shows up. A blurry, grainy picture of a big buck is worth less than a clear video of a cow and calf moose to me.

⫸<{{{{{⦇°>

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the cabelas 8mp. I really like that I can view the pictures on the camera itself. I put up some cheaper ones last year and got a lot of butt and tree pictures. The cabelas one is around $150. You can probably get good ones for cheaper, but will likely lose some extra features. Or you can spend a lot more. Just depends on your budget, what features you want, and how long your leaving them for. Best of luck. Post any good pics :)

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Simple solution to getting them stolen......HiDE THEM! No one wants to see your cameras. Don't put them on busy trails or obvious water holes. Use a little trickery and you will get great pics and keep your camera. ------SS

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Like many have mentioned, I only use inexpensive cameras because I'd rather have $70 to $80 stolen than $200. I've had really good luck with the Primos TruthCam35s over the years.

I only run my cameras on private land and I still have problems with people messing with them, clearing memory cards, etc. I'm shocked that the individuals have left my cameras each time. It takes a special amount of confidence to put a camera up on public land... with some of the issues I face putting them up on my own private land I don't think that I would risk it! If you do I'd follow the advice to think outside of the box with your camera placements and avoid the most obvious water holes and trails that would be attractive to other trail cam users and those that would claim your property as their own.

·
Registered
600 Posts
They need to add security keypads to trail cams and if someone tries to open it up without the code it has a huge siren attached to the side that starts blaring so loud that they have to leave the trail cam there cause of the ear damage it would cause...
Or maybe make it like those moneybags with explosive dye bags so if someone steals/or opens your trail cam they get a huge explosion of dye to stain all their clothes and skin...

...Maybe i should stop thinking about this...

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Small, light and cheap. They are easier to pack, easier to hide, and like has been mentioned, when it gets taken you won't be as bummed. Look for ones that only need 4 AA batteries, rather than 8 Ds. Use lithium batteries, they will last a year, and get big memory cards.

These were taken with what was a $50 camera in 2012

·
Registered
600 Posts
Small, light and cheap. They are easier to pack, easier to hide, and like has been mentioned, when it gets taken you won't be as bummed. Look for ones that only need 4 AA batteries, rather than 8 Ds. Use lithium batteries, they will last a year, and get big memory cards.

These were taken with what was a $50 camera in 2012

which trail cam is this?

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
They use to be branded bushnell, but now they are branded tasco. All of the functions, and the case and everything else are identical. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tasco-3-Megapixel-Mini-Trail-Camera/27735865

I have found them on eaby for as cheap as $38ea if you buy like 10 at a time. Right now walmart seems to be the cheapest, if your local store has them. I'm in need of more, and should have bought some this winter, when the prices were lower.

Almost 10 years ago now, I had a biologist conduct a camera study for me. He built several video cameras and wired in motion sensors, and housed everything in pelican boxes. Those cost us about $750 a piece. If you think having someone take your card, or $300 camera puts a damper on things, try loosing a few $750 cameras. We had footage to prove that bears will carry a camera over 100 yards from where they got it.

I came across a trail camera laying in the middle of a fairly remote trail several years ago. It was laying there with the case open, and the buckle on the strap undone. I figured some one had vandalized it and left it there in the trail as a message to the owner or something. It still had the card in it, so I put the card in my camera to look at the pictures. Turns out it was a moose that had torn it off the tree and carried it to the trail. I took the camera about 30 yards off the trail to where it had originally been hung, and tied it up in the tree. It was gone several months later, I don't know if the owner retrieved it, or a moose took it again.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The cheap Walmart cameras are good for daytime pictures but nightime pictures often times turn out similar to this:
HUNT0082.jpg
HUNT0028.jpg

I do love the battery life though :)

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
The cheap Walmart cameras are good for daytime pictures but nightime pictures often times turn out similar to this:
View attachment 61873
View attachment 61865

I do love the battery life though :)[/QUOTE

Especially in the snow at night. Something I've learned is that you don't need to try to set up "to tight". Always give yourself at least 10 more feet from your target than you think you need. The camera will still get crowded sometimes with lots of animals, but it really helps with dawn and dusk lighting situations, as well as snow refection, fog, and night time conditions. Sometimes video mode on cheap cameras gets better results in the snow as well.

The night pictures on the cheap ones is not great, but neither was the night pictures on $300 cameras not too many years ago.

And for new guys this brings up another issue, sun angle. Keep in mind sunrises and sun sets, it will affect your pictures, just like snow reflection, low light, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts