Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am thinking about picking up a trail cam or two scouting for my elk hunt on Manti this year. I have never used them, but see the value and think it would be something fun to try out and get my down to my unit scouting more and see what is going on. My questions are: If I am only able to go check them every two to three weeks is it really going to be doing me much good? Is that too long to keep them up without checking, will they be gone or full after the first few days? I would like to make it down more but with work and life the drive from Ogden is going to be hard to make many more times than that.
Then if I do decide to get one, what should I look for, features, brands, or any other thoughts anyone has on them. Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
650 Posts
You can spend a lot of money on a trail cam, or you can go cheap. I would go cheap. I bought a Tasco from wally world and paid $50 each. It takes great pictures. You don't need a high dollar camera to see what is in the area. Mine will shoot night pictures or day, the batteries will last all summer. I set one up to take a picture every 5 seconds and ended up with over 500 pictures the first week I had it out. I have since changed the setting to every minute. Attached are a couple of pictures I took with mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was checking mine once a week to every other week last summer. I found that it would take 3-4 days for a lot of the animals to go back to regular showings. I started leaving them for 3-4 weeks and started getting a lot better pictures. If your camera has a sensitivity level, make sure it is on about normal or you will get a lot of pictures of wind storms.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hey bow_dude, do you know what model of Tasco that is? Looks like great pictures. I recently bought some more expensive cameras but have been looking for some cheapos to put out in higher human use areas. That way if they happen to walk off, I won't be out too much money.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I bought mine 2 years ago. They will take 3 or 6 megapixels. I have it set on the 3 so I can get more pictures on a card. Tasco at the time made 2 cameras. The only difference was the megapixels. I bought the cheaper of the two which was $50. I have them stashed away currently, so I don't know the model number, sorry.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Polar... looks like they may have a new version of the one I have. It now sells for $59 and shoots 5 megapixels for night and 3 for day. I believe mine will switch between 3 & 5. I thought it was a 6, but maybe not. The model number of the one on line is # 119256CW. They will also take a video.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Don't do it. You wont get any sleep at night and your productivity at work will significantly drop. Your mind will constantly be thinking about what pics you are getting!! :mrgreen: On a serious not they are a good tool and it is really fun to see what you can get on camera. As for features I have used two different models and they were both on the less expensive end and both worked great. Although the new ones that send the pics directly to your phone would be pretty awesome..

·
Registered
650 Posts
Theft is the main concern I have. I have read posts from people on various sights that claim they will take a camera if found. One poster claimed justification because someone is taking his picture without his permission and said he would return the camera after requested to do so. Another claimed that anything left in the woods is fair game for the taking. Interesting how warped peoples minds work. You can tell when something is lost (dropped) and when something is intentionally left for what ever reason. Theft is theft no matter how you justify it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I've had good luck with the less expensive Primos TruthCam models. I have two 35s and one 46 that a buddy purchased. I also have an inexpensive Wildgame Innovations as well. Only drawback with the older Primos is they take big ol' D batteries. Batteries last most of the summer, I may need to change them once if the area is very high traffic... which is a good thing. I like to let them really marinade and only check them every 5 to 6 weeks.

With all the theivery that goes on out there there's no way I would put a high dollar camera on a tree and walk away from it. Elk are very curious cretaures and will mess with the cameras, too. I've had them turn my cameras completely around on trees or rip them off the trees if they aren't secured well... I showed up to one camera and found it on the ground several feet down the trail and was madder than a hornet that somebody had screwed with my camera but when looking at the pictures I found a little raghorn bull elk was the culprit. Bought a couple security boxes and some 4" lag bolts... problem solved.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I've had good luck with the less expensive Primos TruthCam models. I have two 35s and one 46 that a buddy purchased. I also have an inexpensive Wildgame Innovations as well. Only drawback with the older Primos is they take big ol' D batteries. Batteries last most of the summer, I may need to change them once if the area is very high traffic... which is a good thing. I like to let them really marinade and only check them every 5 to 6 weeks.

With all the theivery that goes on out there there's no way I would put a high dollar camera on a tree and walk away from it. Elk are very curious cretaures and will mess with the cameras, too. I've had them turn my cameras completely around on trees or rip them off the trees if they aren't secured well... I showed up to one camera and found it on the ground several feet down the trail and was madder than a hornet that somebody had screwed with my camera but when looking at the pictures I found a little raghorn bull elk was the culprit. Bought a couple security boxes and some 4" lag bolts... problem solved.
I had 3 different cameras torn off of trees last year by elk. I generally get the cheapest, but decent pic quality and functionality cam I can find. Picked up 4 stealth cams in 2 packs at Cal Ranch at around $100 for 2. Have used Wildgame Innovations before as well as some Bushnell cams that were a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
650 Posts
DerekP... I have considered making a security box and even designed one. Where did you get the ones you purchased? Can you give me some info, price, location, size, etc.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I have a couple of Primos 35's, they do take the d batts. set them at 30 mins. they do pretty well.
I bought a couple of the little Brownings last year. Really like them. Take c batts.
Set them for 10 mins. Watch for them on sale for about 80 - 90 bucks.
Had a couple of real cheap ones but they aren't very versatile for how often they take pictures.
Mine are on my place so I don't have to worry about theft. But, have had elk mess with them a few times. Makes for cool pics.
It's always fun to see what is coming in.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
They are more family entertainment at the cabin. The kids and grandkids love to go check them when they go up. Even the wife likes to check out the pics.
Get skunks, foxes, turkey vultures, pine hens, etc on it.
The elk and deer are a bonus.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
DerekP... I have considered making a security box and even designed one. Where did you get the ones you purchased? Can you give me some info, price, location, size, etc.
CamlockBoxes from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/CamlockBox-Primos-Truth-Cam-35/dp/B00419FMDG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430920014&sr=8-2&keywords=primos+truth+cam+35+security+box). They make boxes for a variety of different cameras. At $25 each and free shipping if you buy more than one it's not a bad deal. They do a great job of keeping the critters from moving them around. Couple the boxes with a good padlock or cable lock and you'll keep most of the humanoids out. A determined human can still get into them with a good amount of effort (as one guy did to me last fall... on private property no less).

If you have the tools and skills for sheetmetal work I'm sure they wouldn't be hard to make, but I have neither the tools nor the skills.

Here are a few of my favorites of elk getting up close and personal with my cameras. In the second picture the elk is chewing on the end of the Python Lock. Stripped the plastic off the last 4 to 6 inches, luckily I can still make it work.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts