Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a few trail cams and was hoping on getting some info from you guys. I have never used them and just looking for some decent quality ones.let me know what you guys use and like..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
You can find reviews with actual footage taken by each camera model online, I don't own one yet but likely will soon. They had about a dozen of them in the bargain cave at Cabela's the other day but I didn't check them out, might be worth taking a look.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The cabelas brand is one of my favorites. I've use a few different brands, and always seem to get good quality pictures with cabelas cameras.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My group uses Moultrie cameras but haven't tried anything else to compare it to.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I use Primos and Wildview Innovations currently, used to have an old Mountrie as well. All are inexpensive (under ($75).

Many have said before that they have really liked the cheap Tasco cameras from Wal-Mart... that will likely be the direction I head next.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cabelas makes some pretty good ones. Just depends on how much you wanna spend and what features you want to pay for. Some of the lower end ones are slow and will take a lot of butt pictures.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I love the Tasco. Had my first one ever stolen this year and didn't even get mad. Couple guys on horseback got it. Luckily they didn't see the other camera up the ridge but it saw them. When I placed the camera, I didn't consider the elevated view from a horse. Honestly I didn't expect anyone to walk past it. Oh well.....I've always said, leave something in the woods......don't expect it to be there when you get back. Don't get butt-hurt, and don't post pictures of the camera collector on the internet. It's all part of the game.-------SS

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I've had good luck with Moultrie, Bushnell, and Stealth Cam. Costco gets some Stealth Cam packages in that are nice. Walmart has the Bushnells cheap. I'd just get one that you won't mind losing, but the best you can afford. Quality photos are more fun to look at.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
A salt lick placed in front of the camera can help attract animals giving you an idea of the polulation/quality in that area.

·
Registered
9,808 Posts
Slightly off topic but you guys ever put one in your backyard of your house? I did for a bit as we had some wildlife coming through, what was amazing was the number of strangers who would walk into my back yard...! Packout has seen my house, its not exactly easy getting into my backyard, wtf were they doing... /shrug.

-DallanC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts