Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wanted to hear some people favorite trail cams I'm gonna buy quite a few and want to know what's the best ones of there for the money best bang for the buck I drew a fishlake early rifle so I'll be scouting quite a bit I want to make it down there every other weekend starting in June to hopefully find me a big ole nasty bull! Thanks for any info on trail cams :) happy hunting everyone

·
Super Moderator
10,032 Posts
Do the cheap ones work real good? And I can't believe people would take trail cams don't people have better things to do!!
If it is left hanging on a tree odds are it will come up missing if someone finds it. Some have resorted to hanging two cameras, one for the game and one for the person that takes the camera.

Watch the sales at Cabela's and other outdoor sites. Natches Shooters Supply usually has a sale on game camera where you can get some decent ones for around $70. Remember you don't need color or 20 mega pixels to see what a animal looks like to know if you want to go after them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a Stealth Cam, multiple Moultries and a Bushnell. I have found that they all work pretty good. I bought my Moultries and Busnell on Amazon for around $75-100 each. I have bought cam lock box security boxes for all of mine. I then fasten them to the tree with a master lock python cable. The security boxes are a bit pricey to buy for all of your cameras, but is cheaper than a new camera. I have never had a camera stolen. The worst I have had happen is someone turn the camera around and pull it to the bottom of the tree.

Here is the website for Cam Lock Box

http://store.camlockbox.com/security-boxes/

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I agree with Critter... go cheap that way you won't be standing in the woods somewhere pissed off out of your mind because you just arrived at that tree and now there's nothing on it and now you're out a couple hundred dollars. Just understand that you are strapping a camera to a tree and walking away for days/weeks at a time, expect to have it stolen or vandalized and be pleasantly surprised when you find that it hasn't.

Trail cameras are all about set up... but there is a learning curve. I use a couple Primos TruthCam 35s and a super cheap Wildgame Innovations and I get hundreds of great pictures every year now, but I went two full years without getting a single good picture because that's how long it took me to figure out how I need to set up the camera to achieve the results I wanted.

You could also check out camofire.com, they always seem to have trail cameras at pretty dang good prices.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Check out Trailcampro.com. They do the most rigorous testing of every element of a camera and publish the results in an easy to read format.

I have used everything from reconyx to moutrie and find you get what you pay for in general. Cheap ones (around $100) seem to die after a year or two. Around $200 you get much better quality. The Bushnells mentioned above fall into that category. Great cameras for the price and fairly robust. The best quality as far as longevity are Reconyx in my opinion. They have a great warranty too. The only problem is the price. So read the reviews and make your choice.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Nah, these guys are the biggest and most comprehensive testing site (also been around the longest):

http://www.chasingame.com/

-DallanC
They look like an ok site too. However in comparing reviews of the same camera, trailcampro has more data. Maybe I am missing where they are putting it on the page though.

Data I do not see on chasinggame but are included in trailcampro:

specs for power consumption in resting, daytime, nighttime modes- These are critical data because shows how efficient the camera is and how far you want to hike and how long you want to leave out.

Also specific distance for detection

Trailcam pro also measures discrepancy in many cameras in width of detection vs width of photo. This is where you always get a part of the animal in the first pic but not all of it.

The same camera reviewed:
http://www.chasingame.com/bushnell-trophy-cam-aggressor-camera-review/

http://www.trailcampro.com/collections/trail-camera-reviews/products/bushnell-aggressor-hd-no-glow

Also here is something else I did not see on Chasing game (maybe I missed it?). Trailcam pro does an over all comparison of each data point.
http://www.trailcampro.com/pages/trail-camera-tests

To each his own, but I have been a game camera junkie for a decade and feel I get more info from Trailcam pro. (no, I do not work for them)

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
We use Moultrie cameras and are quite happy with both their price and their picture quality.

Buy a steel strongbox and Python locks to keep them in place. A lot of people will vandalize them still if found so the trick is to put them where nobody wants to go...that's where the animals will be as well.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Just understand that you are strapping a camera to a tree and walking away for days/weeks at a time, expect to have it stolen or vandalized and be pleasantly surprised when you find that it hasn't.
Pretty sad indictment on where we are as a people, but very true. I don't think I could count how many trail cams I've seen while out and about, and it has never even crossed my mind to go and mess with the camera, let alone damage it or steal it.

I've been considering getting in the trail cam game, but don't know where to start. Some good info in here. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Pretty sad indictment on where we are as a people, but very true. I don't think I could count how many trail cams I've seen while out and about, and it has never even crossed my mind to go and mess with the camera, let alone damage it or steal it.
I truly pity the guys who try and run cameras on public land... I run mine on private and have my cameras vandalized at least once per year. Pretty sad that on my own property I still feel like I have to put them in steel boxes and chain them down.

I've been considering getting in the trail cam game, but don't know where to start. Some good info in here. Thanks guys!
If I were looking at buying a trail camera right now today the absolute most important thing for me would be the batteries that the camera uses. The Primos TruthCams that I have run since 2011 all run off D batteries. They are big, bulky, heavy, and more expensive. The Wildgame Innovations camera that I have run since 2014 runs off AA batteries and is therefore much smaller and lighter. I don't see any real difference in battery life but my back can sure tell when I'm hiking them in to where I want to put them. I don't see many out there now that run on C or D batteries, at a very productive location I may need to change the batteries late in the summer on all my cameras.
However, both the Primos and Wildgame Innovations cameras are a huge upgrade from the Moultrie that I first started using in 2009 which used a 6V lantern battery... that thing sucked juice like no other and I would go thru a battery every two weeks. I still have that camera and it works just fine but the cost of the batteries makes it too much of a hassle to run and check all summer and fall.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Camofire had some Moultrie M-880 Gen 2 cameras yesterday for $79. These are great cameras! They are currently on sale at Cabelas for $129......give them a call!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a couple of Stealth Cams that cost about $70 each. They are small and use eight AA batteries, which seem to last quite a while. I think they are 7MP and take great still pictures and good video. I like the infrared flash on them.
I have had two cameras stolen, both of them were at eye level. I now place a small explosive charge in each camera that can be detonated with a cell phone call (just kidding). I now take screw in steps with me and put the cameras up at about 10-12 feet high and then remove the steps. The field of view is limited sometimes because the camera is angled down, but the cameras are much less visible than at eye level, and even if seen they would be very hard to take unless the dirtbag is also carrying steps.

·
Super Moderator
10,032 Posts
I have had two cameras stolen, both of them were at eye level. I now place a small explosive charge in each camera that can be detonated with a cell phone call (just kidding). .
So you are the one that blew up the bird that was sitting in a tree after I found a camera out in the Book Cliffs this last year.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have used 2 moultrie cameras for almost 10 years and never lost one. I think placement and distance from roads is a big factor. It sure is fun to use them!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts