·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reactions: bigdaddyx4

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is something that I have thought of before. I have never looked it up though. Does anyone know the law regarding the use of dogs to recover big game? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Page 40
Use of dogs
Utah Code § 23-20-3 and Utah Admin. Rule R657-5-15
Dogs may not be used to take, chase, harm or harass big game. You may, however, use one blood-trailing dog-controlled by leash-to track wounded animals and aid in recovery. You may only use the tracking dog within 72
hours of shooting a big game

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In rereading that, there is no mention of not having a rifle as I remembered it having. So, looks like only one dog is ok on a leash even with your rifle apparently??

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have a good friend that manages a CWMU in the northern Utah area. They've been using a miniature weenie dog for tracking game for a few years now. That little dog has recovered a lot of deer and elk following some less than perfect shots.

Pretty cool, but I'd prefer making a clean kill rather than having to worry about my dog on a hunt. This little dog has been a life saver for these guys though!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have a good friend that manages a CWMU in the northern Utah area. They've been using a miniature weenie dog for tracking game for a few years now. That little dog has recovered a lot of deer and elk following some less than perfect shots.

Pretty cool, but I'd prefer making a clean kill rather than having to worry about my dog on a hunt. This little dog has been a life saver for these guys though!
So those stupid little pieces of crap can actually serve a purpose! I've never really "hated" an animal before, but my wife had a wiener dog back when we were dating/engaged and I absolutely HATED that little thing. Before reading this I would have thought that they were only useful for field goal practice.

·
Registered
262 Posts
So those stupid little pieces of crap can actually serve a purpose! I've never really "hated" an animal before, but my wife had a wiener dog back when we were dating/engaged and I absolutely HATED that little thing. Before reading this I would have thought that they were only useful for field goal practice.
A couple years ago, we were hunting pheasants and came across a guy that was hunting with 3 dogs. The german shorthair and the weimaraner both hunted pretty well, but he also had a wiener dog. The best part was that he had a shock collar on the poor little guy! It was half as big as he was! The wiener dog came over and started getting aggressive with my lab so the guy lit the poor thing up with the shock collar. I thought he had killed it!

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
A couple years ago, we were hunting pheasants and came across a guy that was hunting with 3 dogs. The german shorthair and the weimaraner both hunted pretty well, but he also had a wiener dog. The best part was that he had a shock collar on the poor little guy! It was half as big as he was! The wiener dog came over and started getting aggressive with my lab so the guy lit the poor thing up with the shock collar. I thought he had killed it!
No video?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I didn't even see it and I'm laughing just trying to picture it. Sounds like a wiener dog, though. Those little shnits have a serious napoleon complex.
The best part was that his controller for all of his collars was so big, and he couldn't figure out which dog had which collar on. He lit up both of his other dogs (who were patiently waiting right by his side) before he figured out which button to push for the wiener dog! I should just wear a go pro all the time and get some of these moments on video! Haha!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
No way in hell would I take my dog any where high powered rifles. He is to good of a upland game/shed dog. I just don't trust 12 year Olds packing there 30 06

·
Registered
812 Posts
LOL! Yeah my wife and I have one. We bought it the same week we got back from our honeymoon 14 and a half years ago. She's still kickin'! The nice thing about her new though is that she's deaf and blind so she doesn't bark at everything anymore. But I can understand why someone would have a shock collar on one!

·
Registered
248 Posts
The best part was that his controller for all of his collars was so big, and he couldn't figure out which dog had which collar on. He lit up both of his other dogs (who were patiently waiting right by his side) before he figured out which button to push for the wiener dog! I should just wear a go pro all the time and get some of these moments on video! Haha!
I could see it all unfold on a goPRo now... man has too many collared dogs, forgets to collar one dog, in an attempt at controlling the barking of another hits the shock button in his hand lighting himself up with the remaining collar in his other hand in the rain while standing in a puddle!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts