Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I made my first post a few days ago without realizing there was an introduction section. I figured I oughta be polite and tell you all a few things about myself.

I was born in Utah and then quickly swept away to Montana where I spent the majority of my life. I moved down to Utah for various reasons in 2012 and I've resided here ever since. After about a year of missing Montana, I started to slowly get back into the outdoors. It started small; I would fish occasionally. Then that passion started to grow. I was spending almost every day out on the water when I could. Nights, too as I chased catfish.

Then my father sent me a fly fishing video that some of his buddies had put together. I was hooked. I ordered a fly rod right away and never looked back. I frequently fish on the Lower Provo River (2-3 times a week, when I can) and love catching brown trout. So if you see a fellow with a big brown beard and a fishing ball-cap on near Pine Run or Mile 13, come say hi. Chances are, it's me.

While I was in Montana, I hunted deer, coyotes and small game pretty regularly. Upon my arrival to Utah, that got put on hold. I didn't have any of my own guns or gear (perks of having an avid outdoorsman for a father as I grew up). Over the last few years I've accumulated several guns and more gear. I've been unsuccessful in the drawings down here (even for deer, which blows my mind) and had pretty much given up hope. However, thanks to the great people on this forum, I learned a little bit more about how the OTC tag system worked down here. I've got my first Any Bull OTC tag for this October and hopefully plan on filling it. That being said, I am new to elk hunting. So any tips, tricks, or hints are appreciated!

I hope to see you all around here and become more active as I get a better feel for this website and it's members. Happy to be one of the folks out here that loves the outdoors.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
:welcome:

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Welcome. What part of Montana? What does skyrider represent?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A small town outside Great Falls. Basically, take I-15 North for forever and you'll hit it.

SkyRider is a tribute to falconry. Through high school and a few years after, I flew hawks and falcons. The name is just a nod to the birds that own the sky.

·
Administrator
21,314 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

Do you still have falcons?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't, unfortunately. Last bird I flew was a little male American Kestrel in 2011. Life happened all at once and I no longer had time to dedicate to flying a bird.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Welcome! I hung my hat in Great Falls for a couple of years and loved that area. After 15 years in Utah since then, I'm back to my home state in Idaho.

Good luck with the elk hunt this year. Utah is superior to Montana for elk - just more elk period. And the elk are mostly on public lands, at least in comparison to Montana. Anyway, enjoy the elk opportunities in Utah.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts